wesleyw Posted January 23, 2009 Posted January 23, 2009 Is there any way of adding Folders to the Team Discussion pages? We use Capita's SLG and the Teachers of course have a tab for their marksheet entries et cetera there is also a team discussion area but this is available to all teachers is there a way of allowing access via subject for teachers? Such as you go to a general folder all of the teachers can chat but the english folder can be setup with only english teachers having access? Wes
jamesb Posted January 23, 2009 Posted January 23, 2009 I'm going to test this out myself. I'd've thought it could be done using audiencing or Sharepoint permissions and AD groups.
wesleyw Posted January 23, 2009 Author Posted January 23, 2009 Any ideas on how to go about the audiencing?
jamesb Posted January 23, 2009 Posted January 23, 2009 Audiencing's performed on web parts, under the web part settings. I'm not sure if you can get a web part that'd act as a portal to your folders, or embed them, but I suspect there's one somewhere. You could then have a page with one web part per folder on, and set them up so that they're visible to the appropriate groups. With permissions of course anyone without access would get the access denied error which you probably want to avoid. Still trying to get my Sharepoint VM working here...it worked yesterday. Edit: Fixed it. What site template are you using exactly?
jamesb Posted January 23, 2009 Posted January 23, 2009 Okay, just been playing with the Team Discussion web part. Added another list to the site, and a second web part to interact with it so I ended up with the Team Discussion list and the Student Discussion list. Then just set up audiencing so the Team Discussion was assigned to the All Staff group, and the Student Discussion was assigned to the All Students group. Obviously this is a lot less complex than you're looking at, but it seems to have worked. As a Student I can see the Student Discussion, as Staff I can see the Staff Discussion. I also set the relevant permissions on the lists so that Students can't read the Staff list, while Staff can read but not contribute to the Student list. Both can contribute to their own lists. You'll need to create the lists and Sharepoint groups for each subject, but once that's done editing the Audience for each web part is just a case of going to edit the page, edit each web part properties in turn, and set the Target Audiences under advanced settings. Hope that this helps. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now