plexer Posted January 16, 2009 Posted January 16, 2009 We don't have the funds to purchase full blown pc/laptops for temporary replacements when others need to be taken out of service and I wondered wether thin clients could help here. Just a simple one for the desktop and a low powered linux based notebook for mobile people. Any thoughts good or bad? Ben
Guest Guest Posted January 16, 2009 Posted January 16, 2009 Aslong as the "broken" fat client can access the network, the ram and CPU works, etc, then you can PXE boot them as thin clients, therefore you dont really need many "spares", just a server with TS/etc
plexer Posted January 16, 2009 Author Posted January 16, 2009 I meant if I need to remove a fat client to go and fix it then I can give them something as a stand in until it is repaired. Ben
FN-GM Posted January 16, 2009 Posted January 16, 2009 sounds a good idea to me have you seen thinstation? - :: Thinstation - a light, full-featured Linux thin client OS ::
dhicks Posted January 17, 2009 Posted January 17, 2009 Any thoughts good or bad? If you have a thin client server dishing out OS images via PXE / TFTP on your main network you won't be able to use PXE for anything else, eg booting Ghost or other imaging software (I think RIS uses PXE too). -- David Hicks
armadillo Posted January 18, 2009 Posted January 18, 2009 sounds a good idea to me have you seen thinstation? - :: Thinstation - a light, full-featured Linux thin client OS :: Hi, I downloaded the thinstation the other day and I am just wondering how I go about installing it, is it a question of copying it onto the c drive and then boot? Thanks
FN-GM Posted January 18, 2009 Posted January 18, 2009 Hi, I downloaded the thinstation the other day and I am just wondering how I go about installing it, is it a question of copying it onto the c drive and then boot? Thanks Make a CD from the ISO and boot from that. It will install it onto the HDD for you.
armadillo Posted January 18, 2009 Posted January 18, 2009 Make a CD from the ISO and boot from that. It will install it onto the HDD for you. Thanks for your advice- I will try it next week and will let you know how I get on.
ssiruuk2 Posted January 28, 2009 Posted January 28, 2009 If you have a thin client server dishing out OS images via PXE / TFTP on your main network you won't be able to use PXE for anything else, eg booting Ghost or other imaging software (I think RIS uses PXE too). -- David Hicks You can work around this by using a seperate dhcp scope for your thin clients and specifying the pxe boot settings in that scope. Options 67 and 68 I think are what you need. This way you can carry on using RIS etc on the rest of the network without having to turn it off and on when you want to build a machine. (like I was for a while!) 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now