Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
I've known about this for sometime, but I doubt it will be the default save format which doesn't really help. Hopefully Microsoft will also update the Office 2007 Resource Kit, so you can set the default save type!
Posted

using the Sun plugin I was able to set the default for office 2003

 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Options]

 

 

"DefaultFormat"="ODF"

 

We've been using OpenDocument for some time now.

Posted
using the Sun plugin I was able to set the default for office 2003

 

I agree, I'm sure there are lots of ways of setting the default, but it will be interesting to see whether Microsoft allow you to do it via GPO for example.

 

Another good example of this is with the Search Providers in IE7. By default it displays Live for searching, but I've created my own GPO which gives a whole list of Search Providers which schools find really useful and easy to use.

Posted

I should imagine that they'll provide a group policy to do it. If it's a registry key setting then it's easy to put an adm file together to set keys.

 

Bigger problem IMO is how much Microsoft will change the standard, given their track record I doubt they would adhere to it and I wonder what Becta will do if MS try and mess with the standard ?

Posted

Becta are there solely for advisory purposes. I don't think anyone really owns the standard as such. I can't really imagine their position would change much on MS Office, as there are good free alternatives out there, for which most purposes do the job.

 

Becta should jump on Capita, which forces schools to purchase MS Office 2003 or later to some of Sims.NET's features.

Posted

The OpenDocument standard is maintained by OASIS

OASIS: Advancing open standards for the global information society

but theres nothing to stop anybody adopting a 'version' of it. esp if they wished to prevent people from interacting with documents that weren't created on their system (a popular MS trick)

Becta should jump on Capita, which forces schools to purchase MS Office 2003 or later to some of Sims.NET's features

 

Yes I agree, Capita are (illegally) using their monopoly to prevent the use of other office software. They should be reported to the Office of Fair Trading.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

I suspect if MS are smart they'll put the option for default format into the GPO because the alternative is giving the opensource and conspiracy theorists the proof they need to start screaming about MS abusing their power again. Net effect would be lots more people find out how evil the big MS are and how to edit the GPO themselves ... ie: more people would use it ODF than would otherwise have bothered.

 

Of course MS are good at own goals so we'll see..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...