ICTNUT Posted November 14, 2008 Posted November 14, 2008 Hi All, I have followed this very excellent guide: FTP and Web server [bishop Barrington IT Wiki] in order to create an ftp / webserver for the students but I have run into problems... Winbind is working fine and the server has been joined to the domain sucessfully, with the students home directories being created also. If i try to access FTP using ANY username and password (students ot staff) I get access denied. Any idea what I need to be looking for? Permissions on the student home folders are as follows: drw-rw-r-- 2 [studentname] domain users I am running Ubuntu 8.10 fully updated.
james_yale Posted November 14, 2008 Posted November 14, 2008 Are you getting access denied before or after you login to the FTP server? Some ftpds ship with a default configuration that will deny any logins, regardless of whether they're good or not.
CyberNerd Posted November 14, 2008 Posted November 14, 2008 Permissions on the student home folders are as follows: drw-rw-r-- 2 [studentname] domain users try adding execute perms to the directory, you need read and execute to be able to open a directory
ICTNUT Posted November 14, 2008 Author Posted November 14, 2008 try adding execute perms to the directory, you need read and execute to be able to open a directory I have changed the permissions on a test student folder to 755 to see if that is the case. I will test it shortly and let you know
ICTNUT Posted November 14, 2008 Author Posted November 14, 2008 As an update: This is what I have in the Auth.log File for the user in questions: Nov 14 13:27:22 4428-web-04 vsftpd: pam_winbind(vsftpd:auth): getting password (0x00000000) Nov 14 13:27:22 4428-web-04 vsftpd: pam_winbind(vsftpd:auth): user 'robertdavies' granted access Nov 14 13:27:22 4428-web-04 vsftpd: pam_winbind(vsftpd:account): user 'robertdavies' OK Nov 14 13:27:22 4428-web-04 vsftpd: pam_winbind(vsftpd:account): user 'robertdavies' granted access So the FTP -> winbind seems to be working ok so it must be a directory permssions issue, I have even given 777 access on the users folder but I am still getting acess denied. going to see if I can gleen something from the ftp logs. BRB
ICTNUT Posted November 17, 2008 Author Posted November 17, 2008 BUMP Anyone got any ideas, i cannot see anything wrong with this....
james_yale Posted November 17, 2008 Posted November 17, 2008 Do the users have valid shells? Can you login, su to a student account and get access/write to a directory directly?
ICTNUT Posted November 17, 2008 Author Posted November 17, 2008 Seems to work ok. I am able to su the student account and when I do a PWD I am in the directory in question: /home/JKHS-PD/studentname
ICTNUT Posted November 20, 2008 Author Posted November 20, 2008 Went back to basics and accessed ftp via the windows command line and it worked. Upon further investigation Macromedia Dreamweaver is where the problem lies as it tries to CD you into a directory that does not exisit. Have installed a basic freebie FTP tool onto the workstations and bingo all springs to life
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now