Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

We've got a scanner that we would like to use attached to a WinXP AD-domain connected machine. We've got the drivers installed on that machine and they work fine if you log in as admin but if you try to access them as a student (AD login) you get an error saying the scanner isn't plugged in or something.

 

After a bit of Googling I came up with the suggestion to use regedit on said machines and edit HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControl\Control\StillImage but it didn't go into detail. There is a 'REG_SZ' key at that location so my guess was that here I had to enter the name of the scanner as displayed under 'Scanners and Cameras' for its VALUE. Did that, restarted machine but no luck.

 

I tried this on a Win XP SP3 box with a Mustek 1200 UB USB scanner under the GIMP. I would like any user who logs onto that machine to be able to use the scanner please! I should imagine there is a switch for the users server-side I will need to adjust (too)?

Edited by danboid
Posted

We the exact same scanner, and it just worked without any fidling, drivers installed, then put scanner program into startup so when kids logged onto that machine, it auto sarted for them, scanned it, then asked them where to save the picture

 

Not sure why you having problems! have you installed the drivers from the CD, or downloaded the new ones from website?

Posted

Hi pscott!

 

Never saw the original driver disk but the driver I got off the net works just fine, as admin, so I don't think its a driver but a Windows/AD issue.

 

We've had exactly the same problem with a different machine / scanner. Whether we use GIMP or the little util that comes with the driver all we get is 'scanner not plugged in' or a similar error when not logged in as admin. Currently we have to get a teacher to log in on said machines as admin if someone wants to use the scanner.

 

Domain controller is a server 2003 box btw

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...