Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

AFP Automount - tearing my hair out over it


Recommended Posts

Posted

Art department has decided they want a shared area for the macs. Dont really want our already massive Windows shared area eaten up even further so decided to create one on the mac server.

 

The problem is accessing it. They dont mind using Connect to Server but I would rather it was a bit easier to access.

 

So I have tried to set it up to automount. In the automount config, I've set the protocol to AFP, custom mount path of /Network/Shared.

In protocol options both 'share this item using AFP' and 'Allow AFP guest access' are ticked. Permissions are set to everyone read + write and windowsdomain\users read + write

 

When I log in (as anyone) and go to network, the shared folder is at the top but when I try to access it I get "An unexpected error occurred (error code -43)" which apparantly just means 'file not found'

 

Ive been following this forum thread - Apple - Support - Discussions - Shared Applications automount - Error ... and at the bottom one guy says he sorted it which is what I've been following but had no luck.

 

What I want to know anyway, why do I have to have guest access on? Its not a massive deal for a shared area but I wanted to have it so only teachers could create folders and stuff like that, so if everyone authenticates as guest its a bit pointless

Posted

How is everything set up and logging in?

 

This will affect kerberos depending if clients, server etc are bound to AD.

 

I just add it as a login item on my group managed preferences from the OD server instead. Automount doesn't really work unless you are logging into OD.

Posted

Oh! Didnt realise that

 

Yeah server and clients are bound to AD - only use the xserve for home areas and od managed prefs

 

Done it via login items and it works perfectly, just as I wanted it. Thanks!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...