buzzard Posted October 14, 2008 Posted October 14, 2008 Hi all, I've spent soo long looking for some software to fit my spec as close as possible for this. What I'm after is a web-based asset management, or more importantly asset tracking system (pref in php/MySQL). I have been currently using the Hardware Management System from MST Software which has been fine for me to use, but now I'm having problems using it on Vista/Server 2008 plus i prefer web based apps as I tend to forget the laptop!! My biggest difference to most of the threads on here is that i don't want it to discover anything, just a manual entry. the reason for this is we have several bases/units on seperate sites but I manage all the kit and it's on 'my' stockbook. I like the look of IRM but there seems to have been no movement with the project for a few years, the guy has posted on edugeek a few times.. (budgester?).. I've just come across one on sourceforge here I'm using One or Zero for the helpdesk so that aspect isn't needed as such, but if I can get one that does both then thats great! Has anyone another one I've missed, or any experiance of these? tia Buz
alan-d Posted October 14, 2008 Posted October 14, 2008 Have you looked at GLPI - Gestionnaire libre de parc informatique ?
buzzard Posted October 14, 2008 Author Posted October 14, 2008 briefly, I've downloaded it but it looked a bit "too much" if you know what i mean, I'll have another look at it and see whats what! Thanks
teejay Posted October 14, 2008 Posted October 14, 2008 +1 for GLPI. We've recently moved to this and once over the initial learning curve its very good.
tosh74 Posted October 15, 2008 Posted October 15, 2008 (edited) Have to agree here. GLPI combined with OCS Inventory NG (OCS Inventory NG - Welcome to OCS Inventory NG web site !) makes asset management easy. OCS audits your hardware. GLPI can then plug into your OCS repository. PM me if you would like more info Edited October 15, 2008 by tosh74 bad speeling
torledo Posted October 15, 2008 Posted October 15, 2008 (edited) I know exactly what the TS is saying, It sounds as if he wants a straightforward fixed asset solution, web based front end that updates a central database so that he doesn't have to worry about syncing handheld devices and other issues with keeping data consistent. And with such a system you want to be able to modify the tables and fields in a straightforward manner. He doesn't want auto-discovery of IT assets as that adds more complexity to the app that he doesn't require, now if GLPI and OCS can do the fixed assets while avoiding having to setup other features and is straightforward to setup then that would be a good recommendation - but x number of features and capapbilities normally means complexity you don't need......and perhaps it would be an idea to recommend a purely fixed asset system aswell as a complete enteprise asset management system like GLCI/OCS. The only system i've seen that does the job of fixed asset tracking well is unfortunately a propreitory solution, and it can get quite expensive. I've been looking for some time for a cheap or open source solution for fixed asset management, that is client-server and web based front-end but i haven't really found anything good enough. GLCI/OCS look great for EAM but as someone has said i think there is going to be a learning curve to get over with such a full featured product. Edited October 15, 2008 by torledo
teejay Posted October 15, 2008 Posted October 15, 2008 You can do fixed manual asset tracking with GLPI, you just don't bother setting it up to use OCS and then you can add/edit stuff to your hearts content manually. 2
buzzard Posted October 15, 2008 Author Posted October 15, 2008 After taking a look at GLPI again I think it's a go, just need to set it up on a test server and see what I can cut out of the interface that I don't need. I need to work out a way to make it look better as well! I assume you can change them in a cp somewhere! I'll update thi when I get somewhere with some feedback, thanks for your replies! BUz
torledo Posted October 15, 2008 Posted October 15, 2008 How does GLPI work with pocket pc's as barcode scanners.....i..e is there a windows mobile front end for updating from handhelds.
PEO Posted October 21, 2009 Posted October 21, 2009 can you use a barcode scanner with this software?
plexer Posted October 22, 2009 Posted October 22, 2009 Most pc connected barcode scanners can be set to just dump the barcode they have just read as text into whatever application you have open at the time. So if it's a webbased system then you go to the serial number field and scan the item? Ben
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now