Iain.Faulkner Posted October 13, 2008 Posted October 13, 2008 Hi Everyone, It's been a while since I posted on here, mainly as I left the educational IT world and joined the real world. I've now made the decision to try and get back into the education world, believe it or not I actually miss it, and I have got my first interview lined up for next week. Unfortunately the role desires some Linux knowledge (although not essential, it would be good to have), and at this moment I have none. Is there anywhere that someone can recommend I look to give me a brief overview of administrating Linux? Many many thanks in advance Iain
Gerry Posted October 13, 2008 Posted October 13, 2008 (edited) Try playing around with a distribution, I recommend Ubuntu - you don't even need to partition your HDD, there is a special Windows installer called Wubi that comes with more recent versions. Mess around with it, read the intro docs and check out Ubuntu Forums if you need additional help. A quick Google search for the terms "linux" and "introduction" produced http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html Oh, and you might want to check out The Linux Documentation Project: http://tldp.org/ Edited October 13, 2008 by Gerry
Ric_ Posted October 13, 2008 Posted October 13, 2008 Fire up a VM, install a distro and have a play... best way to learn! There's lots of online resources available to help.
pete Posted October 13, 2008 Posted October 13, 2008 The Linux Documentation Project is a good place to start: The Linux Documentation Project: Guides Specifically: Introduction to Linux Some of it is a bit dated, but the Intro to Linux, Bash Scripting Guide and Advanced Bash scripting guide are all recent. Most of the guides assume you have an installed and vaguely functional linux box/vm to learn on.
Iain.Faulkner Posted October 14, 2008 Author Posted October 14, 2008 Hi everyone, Thanks for your responses, all extremely useful as always.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now