edsa Posted September 12, 2008 Posted September 12, 2008 Hi We have had a fibre connection go down between 2 HP Procurve switches. As a temporary measure until I get the fibre repaired I have tried to use UTP connected to the GIG ethernet ports on each switch. The cable run is well under 100M, but I cannot get a connection between the switches on these ports. However I can get a connection by just plugging the cable into a normal 10/100 port on each switch. As you can imagine this is really slow, so I would prefer if I could get the GIG connection between the 2. I terminated the cable ends the same as a normal patch lead and have also tried a crossover config. I would appreciate any advice on this. Many thanks Eddie
SYNACK Posted September 12, 2008 Posted September 12, 2008 Have you got a cable tester, if one of the pairs is compromised it is quite possible that it would work at 100mbps which uses 2 pairs but not at 1GBps which uses all 4 pairs. Other things to check are that the cable is cat5e or above solid core copper and whether the switch is set to auto negotiate the speed, fixing it at the required speed is more reliable between switches. Also is the 1GBs port shared with any other port like the fiber module, busted or not if the port is shared it will take precedence over the Ethernet port.
kmount Posted September 12, 2008 Posted September 12, 2008 Our core switch has dual personality ports, (ie fibre and copper) and you can't use the copper unless you yoink out the fibre. Might be worth a go. Failing that, have you looked at the switch web interface to see if they are disabled?
edsa Posted September 13, 2008 Author Posted September 13, 2008 I tested the cable with a tester and it was straight. The switches have both got x2 fibre gig ports and x2 ethernet gig ports. I have a fibre connection coming into cab A, which is fine and is providing comms to the cab A ICT Suite. The fibre is connected to a GBIC module. The fibre problem lies when I am trying to connect this cab A to cab B and therefore why I am trying to use one of the ethernet gig ports on the switches. I will give your suggestions a try on Monday when I get back to work. Many thanks for your advice.
edsa Posted September 13, 2008 Author Posted September 13, 2008 HP 2626 switch not sure of exact model, I will have to double check that on Monday
Michael Posted September 13, 2008 Posted September 13, 2008 I am not 100% sure whether those two ports are independent. What I mean is, can you use fibre on one port and copper on the other? It might be that you can only use 2 x fibre or 2 x copper at any time and not one of each. I'm sure the manual would confirm this. I have a HP 2626-PWR at one site and I use both Gigabit copper ports.
edsa Posted September 13, 2008 Author Posted September 13, 2008 Yes Michael that sounds about right. I will check the actual model on Monday and check if the ports are independent.
meastaugh1 Posted September 13, 2008 Posted September 13, 2008 (edited) I'm pretty sure they're independant, we have fibre in one port (49) and copper in the other (50) on several of our 2650s. Edited September 13, 2008 by meastaugh1 clarity
kmount Posted September 13, 2008 Posted September 13, 2008 I can't for the life of me remember what our core is but it has a copper and mini-gbic port which only one will operate at a time with, and in order to use the copper you need to slide out the fibre module. (Found this out the other day when uplinking a new switch into the library with copper).
DMcCoy Posted September 13, 2008 Posted September 13, 2008 The 2 numbered ports are independant in the fact that there are ports 25 and 26 for example, it's just that they are dual personality, either fibre (with gbic inserted) or ethernet (without a gbic installed). Ethernet will be disabled when a gbic is inserted into the slot. There are one or two issue if you assign vlans with the port as sometimes these can be lost if you reboot after plugging/unplugging a module. iirc it shows the mode it's in, M or T depending on whats plugged in.
plexer Posted September 15, 2008 Posted September 15, 2008 Thats correct on these switches it indicates by the led which mode it is in. You can use the port in either copper or fibre mode but not both at the same time but you can use port 49 for copper and port 50 for fibre or vice versa. The 2610-48 you can use all 4 of the ports so 2 fibre and 2 copper at the same time. Ben
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now