Michael Posted March 30, 2006 Posted March 30, 2006 Hi guys, Yesterday I posted a reply to another subject regarding Ctrl+Alt+Del at logon. Until recently the little darlings at my school were typing in swear words in the username field and walking away. Now that I have enabled Ctrl+Alt+Del at logon, if a child writes a swear word, after about 1 minute XP returns to the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen (exactly what I wanted), however if a child simply presses Ctrl+Alt+Del, but doesn't enter any username or password, XP stays at that screen. Is there a policy (preferable) or a registry edit which'll make XP return to the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen at logon? TIA
Quackers Posted March 30, 2006 Posted March 30, 2006 I've seen my workstations auto go back to Ctrl+Alt+Del to logon after a few minutes. What happens when the screen saver kicks in? Does it go back then?
Geoff Posted March 30, 2006 Posted March 30, 2006 If you clear the last login name, it'll get stuck. If you don't, it wont.
Michael Posted March 30, 2006 Author Posted March 30, 2006 Yeah I experimented with the screensaver theory too and it still stays at the Username window (if you know what I mean). If I type anything random, but don't press enter, XP will return to Ctrl+Alt+Del. If I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del but don't enter any details, XP stays at this screen. If I click Cancel it does go back to Ctrl+Alt+Del, but I'd like XP to do this automatically
Michael Posted March 30, 2006 Author Posted March 30, 2006 @Geoff - Ahh that's a good thought! And of course when the user walks away XP should then return to the Ctrl+Alt+Del window. Only problem I can see with the username remaining there (even for a minute) is it might tempt kids to guess teachers passwords. Problem is though (at the moment), users logoff and XP returns to Ctrl+Alt+Del and I think then some of the kids are hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del again then walking away (for some reason). I guess because they're not used to seeing that screen.
Preston Posted March 30, 2006 Posted March 30, 2006 If you refer back to "Spaces in Username Box" and check my posts including the scripts for this kind of thing you will see exactly what our system runs and how the script should look. After logout the ctr+alt+delete screen will appear around 60 seconds after, if nothing has been typed into the login box the ctr+alt+del screen will revert back after 60 seconds. This counts for the screensaver also.
Michael Posted March 30, 2006 Author Posted March 30, 2006 Thanks for that Preston, however I've finally worked out how it works! When XP first starts up it automatically starts at the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen. If a user inputs their username and password, (but doesn't hit enter) XP will return to the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen after 1 minute. If a user hits Ctrl+Alt+Del, but doesn't enter a username or password, XP will return to the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen after 2 minutes. It's a simple as that!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now