Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all

 

Does anyone here use Hyper-V and Veeam together and encounter any issues? Our VM count has increased so I have started using Veeam to back them up but keep hitting issues, which now includes our SIMS server!

 

After 2 or 3 days, backups will fail saying the checkpoint failed due to the virtual machine being used by another process. When I look at process monitor, it draws blank. What this also does is it creates AVHDX children which fail to merge with the parent properly. 

 

Anyone have any clue what the cause of this be as I seem to be going round in circles a bit. 

  • 2 months later...
Posted

Have you got any other backups running at the same time (EG a Cloud backup service)?

 

I use Veeam and Hyper-V here and generally everything runs well. I did have some issues last year when one of the data drives would change letter during a backup process which threw out all the shares etc the next morning. I altered the schedule so the cloud and onsite backups were not running close to each other and everything has been fine since.

Posted

Ive had this before. I ended up having to power off the VM and let it do its merge with the VM. It did mess up the C drive vhd on our domain controller and had to restore the drive back. 

 

As im typing this. Just seen a backup failed email come though with the same error... 

 

Hyper-v host is 2019 and VM's are all 2019 as well. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...