Bugzi Posted April 8 Posted April 8 Hello everyone, I hope someone may be able to shed some light please. We are using Cisco Umbrella for our Internet filtering and such, but since moving to Intune and Entra ID only, it seems there is some issues going on in terms of very slow apps showing up in Company Portal and policies coming down to devices (even after multiple restarts). I was recommended to use the Intune Network Requirements powershell script to check for any issues (Ref: https://github.com/MHimken/IntuneNetworkRequirements) and that has flagged a few issues up with Windows Notification Service. I'm currently trying to find the correct place where I could white list or trust the various URLs from Microsoft/Intune within Umbrella but wanted to ask if anyone else has come across this please? Any tips would be appreciated please Many thanks, Philip
KDW1987 Posted April 24 Posted April 24 Cisco umbrella isn't listed as an approved we filtering solution on the UK safer Internet centres website btw 1
Bugzi Posted April 26 Author Posted April 26 Hello, Oh, I didn't know that. Do you happen to have a link I can see this on please so I can let me colleagues know? Thanks
PaddyNewman Posted April 27 Posted April 27 On 26/04/2026 at 07:24, Bugzi said: Hello, Oh, I didn't know that. Do you happen to have a link I can see this on please so I can let me colleagues know? Thanks https://saferinternet.org.uk/guide-and-resource/teachers-and-school-staff/appropriate-filtering-and-monitoring/appropriate-filtering/filtering-accreditation-scheme-for-uk-schools I certainly wouldnt use Umbrella in education.
Bugzi Posted April 27 Author Posted April 27 Thanks. Why would you not use this please? I've mentioned this to my colleagues today and their googling suggests that Cisco Umbrella is allowed.
PaddyNewman Posted April 27 Posted April 27 Its deployable in multiple methods. If you've got full decryption rather than their grey list inspection, thats better, but they also make use of DNSCrypt which is counter intuitive to the ECH breaking methods you should have to view obfuscated DNS lookups. Its a trust thing. I trust Cisco to make switches and firewalls, same as FortiGate. I wouldnt use either as filtering, its a 2nd thought add on, not a purpose built filter. Sounds harsh, but theres a reason there aren't hundreds of firewall big names, same for filtering big names. Also, OK to use vs compliant and accredited are very different. My home filter is fine and would stop the bad stuff, I wouldn't have it in a school or somewhere that has a degree of safeguarding responsibilities. As long as you feel you can meet the requirements to correctly filter users based on age, provide different policies and be age appropriate, report on a per user basis and can decrypt their traffic, you are ok, but its just not accredited. Horses for courses etc.
willtech Posted April 27 Posted April 27 (edited) Also Reading: Meeting digital and technology standards in schools and colleges - Filtering and monitoring: core standard - Guidance - GOV.UK for example Quote The Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) and Counter-Terrorism Internet Referral Unit (CTIRU) provide lists of illegal websites that filtering providers can block as part of their service, known as blocklists. Schools and colleges must make sure these blocklists are implemented with their filtering solutions. Filtering solutions must be designed so that these blocklists cannot be disabled, overridden, or altered by any user in a school, college, multi-academy trust (MAT), local authority or any other responsible body, including system administrators, at any level. Also make sure that your filtering provider is: a member of IWF signed up to CTIRU regularly updating blocklists based on information from IWF and CTIRU IWF they have a category for, but cannot see anything for Counter-Terrorism Internet Referral Unit (CTIRU) list in Cisco Umbrella. If that's the case it would not meet DFE standards. Edited April 27 by willtech 1
PaddyNewman Posted April 27 Posted April 27 I guess you could test by running testfiltering.com as the school option and check your report, should give you adult/porn, terrorism, profanity and IWF denies at a minimum. Always handy to test to know where you are at base.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now