Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi

 

I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop and am playing around with it and so far so good, the only problem that I am having though is any flash application i try to use through my firefox browser, I just can't use it.

 

I gone through a number of guidelines on the internet to try to fix it but just not having any luck.

 

Has anyone had any similar issues with installing flash on ubunutu?

 

I have tried to remove flash completly using synpatic package manager and tried to reinstall it with no avail and also gone directly to adobe website and installed the linux installer and it seems to have installed when i try to run it through terminal but just having problems.

 

any help would be greatly appreciated..

Posted

is it 64bit?

there is no 64bit linux flash player afaik you have to install ff in a chrooted 32bit environment.

 

do you have /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so

?

Posted
is it 64bit?

there is no 64bit linux flash player afaik you have to install ff in a chrooted 32bit environment.

 

do you have /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so

?

 

Hi I am using 32bit Ubuntu and I have just looked in that path that you mentioned and I don't have anything there. Could that be the reason?

 

thanks

Posted
yes it should be there.

try

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

and see if it appears

 

Hi

 

I ran the command you suggested and it seems to have installed successfully, that folder is now in that area but still no flash works on firefox.

 

For example if i go to youtube and view a video all i get is a blank white screen.

 

thanks

Posted

try manually linking the plugin to your firefox plugins directory:

 

sudo ln -s  /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so  /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Posted

I have tried that and it comes up with the following message

 

creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so': File exists

Posted
Its odd because now I think it has started to work partly. My edugeek avatar is butthead and before it was static but now it has begun to move, could this be related to this? as that file is only a gif.
Posted
Its odd because now I think it has started to work partly. My edugeek avatar is butthead and before it was static but now it has begun to move, could this be related to this? as that file is only a gif.

 

no, its a gif

 

creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libflashplayer.so': File exists

 

I guess the manual flashplayer instell worked. did you restart FF?

Posted

yes I have restarted the computer to see if that helped and it hasnt.

 

I thought I would install opera to see if it would resolve the problem as maybe it could have been a firefox issue, but the same issue happens in opera as well.

 

Is there any tool I can use to check the status of the install?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...