Sheridan Posted January 4, 2023 Posted January 4, 2023 I've come across a 2019 virtual server which is running out of space on the boot C: volume and it looks like someone has tried to add space but gave up because there is an EFI System Partition in the way so it can't be extended: I can't just delete this - does anyone know of a way to move it, or delete/recreate it without knackering the server?
Koldov Posted January 4, 2023 Posted January 4, 2023 Let us know how you get on and the steps you took @Sheridan as I seem to have a similar problem (not the same but can't 'expand' to the left). Unfortunately on a physical VM host I in-place upgraded from 2012R2 > 2019 and it made a bit of a mess of the disk... Not sure if GParted works from within Windows or if it has to be a boot disk thing (but then will it cope with RAID)...?
KK20 Posted January 16, 2023 Posted January 16, 2023 you can manually recreate an EFI partition. I would ensure a good healthy backup is present before I go into diskpart and remove/recreate the partition that lets the OS boot :-) I would also run diskpart/bootrec/bcdboot from recovery commandline too so that nothing in the OS is locking. You may end up needed to bootrec/bcdboot anyway if you use a partition manager to move the EFI
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now