Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello,

 

I have just go the goahead to start a program to replace the switches around school.

 

We are all Cisco at the moment, expect for one (Netgear) They are either Catalist 2950 and 3500.

 

Budget is going to be tight, so I was not looking to replace with Cisco, do you guys have any recommendations?

 

The Cisco switches have been in for I think around 7-8 years since the network was built and not once has there been problem, so reliabilty is my main focus.

 

cheers

 

Ste.

Posted
Hello,

 

I have just go the goahead to start a program to replace the switches around school.

 

We are all Cisco at the moment, expect for one (Netgear) They are either Catalist 2950 and 3500.

 

Budget is going to be tight, so I was not looking to replace with Cisco, do you guys have any recommendations?

 

The Cisco switches have been in for I think around 7-8 years since the network was built and not once has there been problem, so reliabilty is my main focus.

 

cheers

 

Ste.

 

Hi there,

 

We are also all cisco in network inftrastructure as well. I think you may want the 2950 to keep going until they just expire as they are still good switches i think with the latest EMI IOS upgrade. The 3500 does have some limitations so you may want to replace these with either 2960s or 3550/3560s i would not bother with the 3750 as these are not really for access/edge later more of core/distribution thing.

 

If yo are looking to replace the core then you have a choice of either 4500 chassis based or linking multiple of 3750s together as a cluster to give you the same functionality.

 

Its also worth having a contract for the core to give you upgrades and also of course to cover for parts and support. I thik you need a support contract on one of the switches to be able to down the ios from cisco's website.

 

At present we have a 6509, 4509 and many 2950s and few 2960 switches. In total we have around 45-50 switches across the school.

 

HTH,

 

Ash.

Posted

In total we have 13 to replace, excluding the core.

 

Am gonna get information together, the head doesn't want to wait for them to go down she wants to replace them all, who am I to argue :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...