Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

We are currently looking at bringing in other brands of switches to our Cisco network and I think this is going to require us going from Cisco's proprietary PVST to something more standards based. I think the only real option on our Cisco 3750's is MSTP (RTSP does not seem to be an option).

 

I am guessing this is going to be a very disruptive process whilst the necessary changes are made, as I suspect as soon as I put the change in place on the core it will shutdown links to the other switches? Has anyone done this? I presume I am best starting at the core, and then working my way around the cab rooms, patching directly in to the switches and making the changes.

 

Also, could anyone with some knowledge of Cisco (and a much better understanding of Spanning Tree) sanity check the config below to see if I am along the right lines:

 

All switches (I havent mapped any instances as I am happy using 0 for all - I presume this is similar to RSTP?)

 

Switch(config)# spanning-tree mst configuration

Switch(config-mst)# name spanningtreename

Switch(config-mst)# revision 1

Switch(config-mst)# show pending

Switch(config)# spanning-tree mode mst

 

Core A

 

spanning-tree mst 0 root primary

 

Core B

 

spanning-tree mst 0 root primary

 

Any help in an area I have zero knowledge would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...