Boredguy Posted March 21, 2022 Posted March 21, 2022 Currently we have the MAT domain name assigned to one of our schools, and we want to spin it out to it's own Tenancy so we can basically start fresh and move all the schools across to it as we move their domains to a single AD structure. MS articles says it should be possible to setup the new tenancy with the subdomain of a domain already verified and in use in another tenancy (example Azure.Contso.com would be new domain with Contso.com in the existing tenancy) Anyone done this recently? Last thing I want to do is setup the tenancy and then find that the central team can't login with the MAT domain name that is still setup on the other schools Tenancy while we're still sorting out the licences etc on the new one (they will get downtime when we migrate their settings later)
chaplic Posted March 21, 2022 Posted March 21, 2022 I literally did this on Friday as a test (and then moved the subdomain to the original tenant). I took screencaps, PM me if you want them. 1
Boredguy Posted March 22, 2022 Author Posted March 22, 2022 Cheers @chaplic, and users from both tenancies logged in correctly in the right place I assume without affecting users in the other tenancy since their username was correct. Once I get it setup, and we sort the licences out on it, we'll migrated the full domain to the new tenancy.
chaplic Posted March 22, 2022 Posted March 22, 2022 Yep. The company I was testing this for already have such an arrangement in production, with about 300 people -> sub1.company.com ->Tenant A 2000 people -> company.com-> Tenant B They wanted to move sub1.company.com to Tenant B (obviously need to remove all the use of the domain first) so I also repro'd this using test tenants then moved it
Boredguy Posted March 22, 2022 Author Posted March 22, 2022 Excellent.. guess I need to make sure our Tech who can access the DNS of the domain is in today, then can make a move on getting it setup and authorised as educational.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now