FN-GM Posted June 20, 2008 Posted June 20, 2008 Hi How can I add the favourites to the start menu using group policy, a script or something else? With our setup it is not possible to put it into the profile. Your help is appreciated. Z
SYNACK Posted June 20, 2008 Posted June 20, 2008 The setting looks to be held in the regestory here: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced] "StartMenuFavorites"=dword:00000002 0 is disabled 2 is enabled in xp style Looks like it needs a restart to apply it but it would probably work if packaged up as a ADM as this should apply before the shell is brought up.
FN-GM Posted June 20, 2008 Author Posted June 20, 2008 Ok thanks, will this work in classic start menu? Also do you know how to make an adm file?
superfletch Posted June 20, 2008 Posted June 20, 2008 Group Policy User Config | Windows Settings | Int Exp Maintenance | URL's | Favorites and links.
FN-GM Posted June 20, 2008 Author Posted June 20, 2008 Group Policy User Config | Windows Settings | Int Exp Maintenance | URL's | Favorites and links. That won't add them to the start menu
SYNACK Posted June 20, 2008 Posted June 20, 2008 (edited) Classic uses 1 as the value. I have made an ADM just now that should do it, can't test it though as I am not at work. You will also need to make sure that the Remove Favorites Folder option is disabled in the Start menu and taskbar GP folder to as this will override it if it is set to true anywhere higher up in the policies. Note: You will need to turn of GP filtering to get it to show up because of the location of the reg key. To do this go to the view menu and click filtering, then untick "Only show policy setting that can be fully managed" I have also created a second, hopefully better one that is attached as StartFavXP (also removed broken one)StartFavXP.zip Edited June 20, 2008 by SYNACK 1
superfletch Posted June 20, 2008 Posted June 20, 2008 "That won't add them to the start menu" Why not? cause you're using the classic menu I suppose? can you use folder redirection instead and just add in a Internet shortcuts / favourites folder?
FN-GM Posted June 20, 2008 Author Posted June 20, 2008 Classic uses 1 as the value. I have made an ADM just now that should do it, can't test it though as I am not at work. You will also need to make sure that the Remove Favorites Folder option is disabled in the Start menu and taskbar GP folder to as this will override it if it is set to true anywhere higher up in the policies. Cheers but it doesn't work, the the policy setting doesn't load when i add the adm file "That won't add them to the start menu" Why not? cause you're using the classic menu I suppose? can you use folder redirection instead and just add in a Internet shortcuts / favourites folder? I don’t want to add shortcuts all I want is for the favourites menu to appear on the start menu for all users.
SYNACK Posted June 20, 2008 Posted June 20, 2008 Cheers but it doesn't work, the the policy setting doesn't load when i add the adm file You will need to switch of the view filter as above in my edited post, also give the secondary one that I just made a try. It should show up in the Start Menu and Taskbar bit under users directly.
FN-GM Posted June 20, 2008 Author Posted June 20, 2008 The second one worked a treat thanks. Do you have one to enable quick launch?
SYNACK Posted June 20, 2008 Posted June 20, 2008 No unfortunately that one is stored as a small chunk of hex in a very large hex reg key that controls some other stuff as well, you could try replacing the key with a reg fragment like this: Enable/disable quick launch
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now