Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Just in the process of testing Windows 11 in my environment. Has anyone managed to pin items to the taskbar via GPO on Windows 11? I have been doing this succesfully in Windows 10 for a long time however if I apply the same policy to Windows 11 for some reason file explorer is missing but all of the other items (chrome and office apps) pin okay.

 

In the actual start menu everything appears to be default so I must be missing something. Maybe the method you use to manage the start menu and task bar in Windows 11 has changed.

 

This and students being able to access the new Windows terminal app are the only things not working for me at the moment (not that I intend to roll out Windows 11 any time soon!)

Anyone looked at this?

Edited by tmoon-mint
Posted

After posting I think I have figured it out... This might help somebody else though.

 

I have pinned file explorer to the taskbar using this:

This LNK file appears to no longer exist in Windows 11. Need to find a different way to pin File Explorer.

Posted

 

This is what is in mine and works. Whole one below if it helps. Now the start menu.... thats where I'm stuck.

 

xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification"

xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout"

xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout"

xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout"

Version="1">

 

 

Edit.... not sure how to stop the : and D from becoming a smiley.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

 

This is what is in mine and works. Whole one below if it helps. Now the start menu.... thats where I'm stuck.

 

xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification"

xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout"

xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout"

xmlns:taskbar="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/TaskbarLayout"

Version="1">

 

 

Edit.... not sure how to stop the : and D from becoming a smiley.

 

That works perfectly in both Windows 10 and 11. Thanks. Still not sure how to manage the new start menu but at least we are making progress.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...