Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

OK this is a goodun.

Our old admin server died last week. We've got the new one in place and all data restored from backup.

Thing is, one user has somehow encrypted a few of her files and folders.

Reading on the MS site we cannot decrypt because we weren't granted access at time of encryption.

I've tried creating her account with same name to see if it would let her do it, but no.

 

Is there any way of decrypting them at all? We don't have the old server any more so if there were settings on there that needed to be changed, we're :censored: basically.

Posted
If decrypting was that easy, they'd be no point encrypting. I think you may need to look for a third party utility to unlock the files. I have never tried in practice, so I don't know how difficult it is to unlock or how high an encryption level is used.
Posted

I think it is possible. The users private EFS encryption/decryption keys are held in the registry. As Admin, you can get hold of those, thus you should be able to decrypt the files/folders.

 

I haven't found a tool that's free that implements this though.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...