Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello,

 

I've been working on a new Task Sequence for updating Windows 10 from older releases to 1909 (and 20H2 at a later time).

For devices that are on site, it works fine, but for devices which are mobile and off site, I've hit a roadblock.

 

With Pre Caching and such, I can get the TS to work, but as soon as the first reboot kicks in, the device isn't connected to the VPN anymore. Which then means that no state messages are sent back to the SCCM server.

 

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can potentially solve that please?

 

I know there is CMG, but I'm unsure of the monthly costs for that, so difficult to build a business case for that.

I could potentially hack something together where the success is stored in the Hardware Inventory and then sync that back to SCCM, but the actual deployment is still stuck in "In Progress" within the SCCM Monitoring.

 

Thanks

Posted

You say 20H2 have you updated any yet to this? As this has a bug which completely wipes out certificates stored on the local machine so you need to ensure your using the Jan ISO (IIRC) which has it fixed.

 

Any reason your not doing straight to 20H2? Am in the process now of upgrading ours to 20H2, a few bumps along the way so far with HP drivers.

Posted

No, not updated any devices to 20H2.

I did hear about the certificate issue.

 

Generally we feature upgrade once a year, but not sure how that will change with Cyber Essentials nowadays.

 

We still have quite a few devices on 1709 and 1809. 1909 has been the latest stable Windows 10 version we moved to last summer to which we are still playing catch up. 20H2 is meant to be this summer, but no prep work has been done yet.

What issues did you find for 20H2?

Posted

I have a lot of devices on 1809 still so wanted to jump straight to 20H2 just so it's not something I have to do every year as our problem is getting hold of staff laptops to actually do the upgrade as am not brave enough to say to staff they can do it themselves.

 

We are in the process of upgrading student devices so that will be done over the coming months as it's easier to do them over holidays etc.

 

Issues so far have been the certificate problem, but fortunately that was while I testing my task sequence so no major issues and now sorted with updated ISO.

 

But my current issue is a Synaptics HID driver issue in the 20H2 driver pack for ProBook 450 G6 laptops during an update it manages to install the driver but the driver doesn't meet 20H2 more strict requirements for driver signing.

 

I've pinged HP but it's really difficult getting through to the right person. If I imagine the same laptop fresh with the same driver pack the Synaptics HID driver doesn't install and you get the yellow exclamation saying the driver has been blocked. The upgrade must allow the driver to install somehow, and it makes the laptop pretty unusable by disabling the keyboard, usb ports and I can't access it remotely I have to disable driver enforcement to get the laptop working.

 

Uninstalling the broken driver brings the laptop back again.

 

I need to see if I can remove that driver from the driverpack, as am not sure how long it will be before HP release a new one.

 

Never had problems with Dell laptops as I have had with HP.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...