reprised Posted January 15, 2021 Posted January 15, 2021 Hi, Just thought i would ask you all what's your opinion of having all teachers record their online classes? We have advised staff to record all their lessons for safeguarding purposes however when ending the recording it is then available for students to download from the meeting chat. I have asked Microsoft if it is possible to restrict access to only the teacher who recorded the meeting but this is not possible by default. The teacher would need to delete it manually from Stream or their OneDrive Recording folder (if using the new recording location). I guess this could be an issue if something happens in the meeting and students have the video but then again they could be using screen capture software. What do you guys do? Thanks
DavidSol Posted January 24, 2021 Posted January 24, 2021 Hi - I'm curious about this and the advice you've given staff. I think it's a safeguarding issue, really for safeguarding staff/DSLs, isn't it? And that advice needs to be squared up with privacy/GDPR stuff as well. My take is is to wonder what the risks are for remote learning and if they are different (greater? Or lesser?) to lessons in real life. We don't record all of those, so why should we record remote lessons? I can see a case for recording (only the teacher!) a lesson to provide teaching resources for a school but I can only see problems in recording pupils in any way. Either they (for older) or their parents (for younger) would need to give their informed consent for the recordings and the all the uses of those recordings. Our safeguarding advice - agreed with the council safeguarding lead is the opposite.
thimon Posted January 24, 2021 Posted January 24, 2021 Safeguarding is SLT’s / your DSL’s responsibility. Us as IT Support need to ensure the tech can work as required, in addition to communicating risks and pros / cons of software features.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now