mullet_man Posted October 8, 2020 Posted October 8, 2020 Hi, Am having a nightmare with one member of staff who has somehow changed their XML file association to open files into Dreamweaver. I just can't find a way to reset them back to the Office default so a excel xml opens in Excel and Word one in Word etc. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried exporting the file associations XML on a working PC and importing and it still wants to open in Dreamweaver. It's very annoying and I really want to avoid re-creating their profile!
FishCustard Posted October 8, 2020 Posted October 8, 2020 What happens if you right click an XML file and do "always open with X" - does it reset at login?
mullet_man Posted October 8, 2020 Author Posted October 8, 2020 What happens if you right click an XML file and do "always open with X" - does it reset at login? I've tried that and it doesn't do anything, it changes the file icon to the new Office logo as I've pointed it at Office XML Handler.
FishCustard Posted October 8, 2020 Posted October 8, 2020 But they still open in Dreamweaver when you click them? How odd...
Koldov Posted October 8, 2020 Posted October 8, 2020 If you've definitely changed the extension in 'Choose a Default App for each Type of File' and it hasn't worked, can you stop Dreamweaver opening XML files, or is that not an option? Was it saying Dreamweaver in there before you changed it manually, if so maybe it is changing it back automatically? https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/dreamweaver/kb/change-add-recognized-file-extensions.html Alternatively, I came across this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-desktop-winpc/windows-10-how-to-open-an-xml-file-by-default/61095242-856f-4079-8482-586b8ab21659?page=2 About halfway down, can you poke about in the registry and see if those lines read something different from - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmlfile\shell\Open\command (Default) "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\VFS\ProgramFilesCommonX64\Microsoft Shared\Office16\MSOXMLED.EXE" /verb open "%1" 1
mullet_man Posted October 8, 2020 Author Posted October 8, 2020 If you've definitely changed the extension in 'Choose a Default App for each Type of File' and it hasn't worked, can you stop Dreamweaver opening XML files, or is that not an option? Was it saying Dreamweaver in there before you changed it manually, if so maybe it is changing it back automatically? https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/dreamweaver/kb/change-add-recognized-file-extensions.html Alternatively, I came across this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-desktop-winpc/windows-10-how-to-open-an-xml-file-by-default/61095242-856f-4079-8482-586b8ab21659?page=2 About halfway down, can you poke about in the registry and see if those lines read something different from - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\xmlfile\shell\Open\command (Default) "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Root\VFS\ProgramFilesCommonX64\Microsoft Shared\Office16\MSOXMLED.EXE" /verb open "%1" This looks promising, I'll try it tomorrow and report back. Thanks for that! Appreciate it. - - - Updated - - - But they still open in Dreamweaver when you click them? How odd... No sorry if you change the association it changes to the XML handler but doesn't do anything!
mullet_man Posted October 12, 2020 Author Posted October 12, 2020 I've edited the registry and it's looking good so far, cheers @Koldov
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now