Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi I had a question regarding a domain controller configuration on my network. I had 3 domain controllers on my network they all are on Server 2003 SP1. One of the domain controllers recently failed and I removed the necessary roles of that server before taking it out of production.

 

Now the server is fixed, I have installed server 2003 and am questioning if I can have this fully patched up with SP2. If I made this server a domain controller like it was before but now with SP2 would that affect replication because the other servers in the domain are still on SP1?

 

If anyone could advise me on this, it would be most appreciated.

Posted

Nope it will be fine, in our forest (that’s around 10 domains with 2 – 3 domain controllers on each) we have mixed SP1 & SP2 and causes no issues.

 

Why not fully update the other two?

  • Thanks 1
Posted
I can confirm 2003 Server SP1 and 2003 Server SP2 work fine together. All my servers run 2003 Server SP2 and I've not had any problems.
  • Thanks 1
Posted
Well I probably will update them soon, but I relucant to make any changes as they are both working fine. i also think don't fix it unless broken....
Posted

Just to confirm that this worked. A mixed environment with SP1 and SP2 WIndows server 2003 domain controllers causes no issues.

 

Next step for me is to upgrade the rest of the domain controllers to SP2. Hopefully without any issues!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...