firefighting Posted June 2, 2008 Posted June 2, 2008 I somehow suspect the answer is setting permission but I just cannot find where! The setup: W2K3 Server, 1 domain, many XP clients I have clients successfully logging on to a domain with redirected desktop and folders. DT short cuts run applications both locally and on the server with no problems. Mapped Drives setup correctly. All works as I expect However, using Remote Desktop: After successful login, using the same user name and password the correct desktop appears as I expect. Drives are mapped. This time the DT short cuts won't run applications. If I then run the application via the "Run" command and navigate to the *.exe file the application runs! If I setup a new short cut on the desktop the app won't run. If the app is in the "All Programs" list, then it will run. Basically, DT short cuts in RDP do not work....and yes! login as administrator using RDP and they do work. I just receive "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file...." Please help. If I can only understand the problem, I find the solution!
firefighting Posted June 4, 2008 Author Posted June 4, 2008 Just to add to this thread to narrow down to a solution. When I connect on Remote Desktop, any short cuts that run *.exe file do not work except if they are in the start menu list or All Programs menu. Anyone got suggestion as to what maybe causing this behaviour? thx
SYNACK Posted June 4, 2008 Posted June 4, 2008 Are the desktop icons pointing to local applications on the remoted into station or programs that are out on the network. Maybe it is something to do with that file security stuff that asks you if you really want to run this app from a remote drive. Jest a guess though. 1
firefighting Posted June 4, 2008 Author Posted June 4, 2008 Thank you for replying. The icons run applications on a drive on the server. For example Reoprt Assist 2008 sits on the server. When a user logs in on the network they work fine. However the same icon on RDP won't run. If I nav via the run command to the exe file then it will run. I have set permissions for everyone and still it won't work. I recreate the icon shortcut and still it won't run. I have just "run" out of ideas!!!
SYNACK Posted June 4, 2008 Posted June 4, 2008 If the RDP is to the server it looks like it may have something to do with Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration. Weird but is is what experts exchange suggested for a similar problem. Can't run programs on a shared drive using remote desktop. : Microsoft, Windows, XP/Server 2003, Remote Desktop, Windows Cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access. The issue is related to Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration. I suggest we disable Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration on Terminal Server. To do so, follow the steps below: 1. Click Start->Control Panel-> Add/Remove Programs 2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components 3. Click to clear checkbox next to Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration. 4. Press Next and follow the wizard to finish it. 1
firefighting Posted June 4, 2008 Author Posted June 4, 2008 Synack...you are a genius. A BIG, BIG THANK YOU. It worked
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now