JRA Posted February 11, 2020 Posted February 11, 2020 (edited) Hi all, Think I'm not FAR off with my moving from profiles to mostly folder redirection for W10. Snag of the day today is this: Redirect the Desktop folder in Group Policy to \\fs1\profiles\Desktop. Now, fs1 is a Samba server, and the share [profiles] goes to %H/profile which, in real terms on the Samba server, is /home/staff/%username%/profile/Desktop. With me on that one? I'm not sure it 100% matters here what's occuring Samba-side, but just including that. In Windows, a staff user (all set up and been running a few years on W7) now logs on with nothing in the profile field in AD, and folder redirection is set to the attached. Now, users can log on and the desktop doesn't have the "old"/the W7 things they used to have on their desktop. It looks like this: BUT if I type that UNC path in as in the address bar there in explorer it's got what I'd expect to be on the desktop right now. However, if I click on the quick access link on the left to the Desktop I get what actually shows up on the desktop: ...Can anyone un-bugger my situation right here? ALSO also, is it possible to add in a number of desktop shortcuts for Word, PPT, Chrome, SIMS etc? Hopefully as per W7 the desktop could also be redirected to a share on netlogon for example with some links I can add to/remove. If not I can do that through GP Prefs I guess. Thanks anyone who looked and had a ponder. Edited February 11, 2020 by JRA
Davit2005 Posted February 11, 2020 Posted February 11, 2020 I must admit it was about 7 years since I set this up and it was only for students and they had the same shared desktop. Never done it on a user by user basis. 1
djm968 Posted February 11, 2020 Posted February 11, 2020 Anything in the event logs for redirection failing? 1
JRA Posted February 11, 2020 Author Posted February 11, 2020 Anything in the event logs for redirection failing? Hahaha - yeah you'd think I'd have already done that being an experienced network manager but I hadn't. So then I did. And then shortly after disabled the fast login optimisation experience wossname which was wrecking it and all is perfect with it. Thanks everyone!!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now