Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Office 365 - Help deleting an accidentally send email


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

After a little help, I did a soft delete if an email that was sent out, but now I want to do a hard delete of it as it is still recoverable by the users.

It can be recovered by going to deleted items and at the top, recover items deleted from this folder.

I created a search in Security & Compliance and tweaked the criteria to catch the email I was after.

Via PowerShell did a soft delete of it...

New-ComplianceSearchAction -SearchName " [security & Compliance Search Name ] " -Purge -PurgeType SoftDelete

 

But changing the SoftDelete to HardDelete afterwards has not removed them (it does complete successfully in PowerShell once run but the email remains)

 

Any ideas on how I can permanently delete the email that is currently recoverable?

 

Thanks!

Posted

I think maybe because you soft deleted it first its not possible. Just a theory though.

 

Could you change the policy to remove deleted items after a short time on the mailboxes instead?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...