MkII Posted September 12, 2018 Posted September 12, 2018 I have a problem with one laptop... when connected to a projector the signal flicks on and off. I assume the signal isn't strong enough. Other identical laptops have no issue. I've tried a cheap usb port powered booster but I get nothing at all out of that. Am I on the right track or could it be something else? The cable run isn't very long to this particular projector. That laptop works fine on other projectors. We have two projectors in school that this problem has happened on. I'll check if they're the same model.
Passat1983ICTech Posted September 12, 2018 Posted September 12, 2018 hi there you know the cable run how long is it ? what projector is it ? or give Micheal Holland a ring at CCS media if you want the number Pm use 1
christhetech Posted September 12, 2018 Posted September 12, 2018 I used to buy Startech VGA splitters back in the day. Startech do a couple of quite decent ones. The ones I used to buy were mains powered and I never encountered any issues with signal dropping at all. The ones that I used to buy were very similar to this https://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/productinfo/kvm-switches/0001485476-00000001?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7b2yxPO03QIV5pPtCh3zvwdQEAQYAiABEgLY-fD_BwE 1
MkII Posted September 12, 2018 Author Posted September 12, 2018 No chance of using HDMI ? We have HDMI to VGA adaptors and that's what gives us the flickering image. I should check the adaptor as well I guess. The onboard VGA connection is very weak on these laptops and has broken on a few including this one. It could be something in that lot
SamanthaD Posted September 12, 2018 Posted September 12, 2018 Can you define what "not a long cable run" actually is? First thought as it's with a specific laptop, are the drivers different to other laptops? Try updating the drivers and see if there's any improvement. If not try dropping the screen resolution and see if that improves. If you're going from HDMI to VGA then as you've identified that's another fault in the chain. I'm finding StarTec adapters are working well, and reasonably priced. Hope that helps! 1
SamanthaD Posted September 12, 2018 Posted September 12, 2018 And in answer to your actual question - it's a VGA line driver. 1
MkII Posted September 12, 2018 Author Posted September 12, 2018 Can you define what "not a long cable run" actually is? First thought as it's with a specific laptop, are the drivers different to other laptops? Try updating the drivers and see if there's any improvement. If not try dropping the screen resolution and see if that improves. If you're going from HDMI to VGA then as you've identified that's another fault in the chain. I'm finding StarTec adapters are working well, and reasonably priced. Hope that helps! 10M These laptops have all just been imaged. They should have identical drivers but I'll check. I've just been around and updated the driver. Intel HD3000. Res could be different. I'll check that. Must try different adaptors. Problem is this member of staff has taken the laptop home and won't appear again until she needs the projector to work. Joys.
HTCPCP Posted September 13, 2018 Posted September 13, 2018 Have you tried a USB powered HDMI to VGA adaptor? I used to use a Rankie one with a USB cable to work with it for some older Sahara branded projectors which had a similar issue with image degradation.
chewee Posted September 18, 2018 Posted September 18, 2018 can you use a shorter lead to see if the problem continues as VGA should be ok at 10M, often the main thing that happens is the resolution drops the further you send the signal. given that the problem though doesnt happen on other laptops try looking at the one laptop in more depth, maybe the VGA connector is starting to fail
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now