cookie_monster Posted April 21, 2008 Posted April 21, 2008 I haven't used this before but am about to have a play, i see that you have to register to get the key do they tend to ring and pester you. I assume i just download the 'server' product from here is that right? Download VMware Server Cheers.
tmcd35 Posted April 21, 2008 Posted April 21, 2008 Never had a phone call from them. Then again we do have the ESX product so they may have put two and two together when we downloaded the free server.
cookie_monster Posted April 21, 2008 Author Posted April 21, 2008 Excellent i'll have a play then. I've downloaded trials from some places and someone has been on the phone before i'd even installed the software.
dhicks Posted April 21, 2008 Posted April 21, 2008 i see that you have to register to get the key do they tend to ring and pester you. I had my details scanned by VMWare at the BETT show, and I've had a couple of sales calls off them. They were very polite, and I figure it's fair enough phoning after a trade show, but the salespeople just seemed rather vague as to what their product did, how it worked, or why it was better than any of their competitors. Their entire sales pitch seemed to be "Hi! Have a look at our website!". Before you spend any money on anything, have a look at Xen. I've just installed three machines with Xen running on CentOS 5.1 - installing was a simple case of checking "virtualization" in the install options. I've got block-level replication working (slowly...) between servers with DRBD, too, so if one machine conks out another can instantly take over. -- David Hicks
Sirbendy Posted April 21, 2008 Posted April 21, 2008 or Virtualbox..also free. I'm redoing our Workstation image in that now.
cookie_monster Posted April 21, 2008 Author Posted April 21, 2008 Yes i've been using Virtual box for a while to test software but i'm not sure how stable it is for virtualising a server.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now