Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi Fellow Techs

 

I was wondering if I could get some support/advice from some SQL Guru's as I been having a problem with a legacy SQL server being backed up and have tried a number of steps however I not been able to get this issue resolved. This legacy server unfortunately runs 2005 ver 9.0.5069.

 

So I have setup some SQL maintenance backup plans to schedule a full backup of a Database every night. What I have found is sometimes the backup works as expected but most of the time its just runs and takes days for the job to finish.

 

When looking at the error logs I am seeing codes related to the following as well as one message which consistently comes up.

 

Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.

Error: 3023, Severity: 16, State: 2.

Source spid20s

 

Message

Backup and file manipulation operations (such as ALTER DATABASE ADD FILE) on a database must be serialized. Reissue the statement after the current backup or file manipulation operation is completed.

 

I attach the full recent log with this.

SQL_Log.txt

 

What I have tried:

Created a maintenance task to check database integrity and rebuild the index, update the statistics. This job runs successfully once a week.

Rebooted the server and SQL related services.

Tried an alternative 3rd party backup software Redgate SQL Backup and have the same problem with the 3 party tool.

 

It saying the database must be serialized. What exactly does this mean?

 

Any help on this would be appreciated.

 

Thanks

Edited by ranj

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...