tickmike Posted December 29, 2017 Posted December 29, 2017 (edited) Building A New Home Backup Server/Store. Since my 5 year old backup NAS is full 2 x2TB drives, and the desktop pent III is getting old now (some bulging capacitors !) I bought a new 10 drive bay space case ( with more capacity ), and 4 new 2TB drives. PS and Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H MB with 6 x SATA ports. I will use my two old 2TB dives out of my old unit and another SATA HD for the PCLinuxOS Darkstar OS to run it. I want to set this machine up with 6 x 2TB 3.5" hard drives for now, Then using two raid cards have spare capacity for expansion if needed. Three Raid sets all 'Raid 1' Mirror. Raid set 1 = (my two old hard drives ) SATA port 0 & 1 on the MB (not fitted yet !). Raid set 2 = 2x2TB drives SATA port 2 & 3 Raid set 3 = 2 x 2TB drives Sata ports 4 & 5 I have got in to the MB Raid set up screen and can see the four 2TB drives, set up Raid set 2 ok using ports 2&3 , but then trying to set another raid set 3 up with Raid 1 mirror it will not let me set it up. Any ideas why ?. Can you normally set up more than one mirror raid set on a motherboard ?. or Should I just forget the MB raid set up and use Mdadm ?. Edited December 29, 2017 by tickmike
powdarrmonkey Posted December 30, 2017 Posted December 30, 2017 If you're only doing mirrors, mdraid is fine.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now