Novalee Posted September 27, 2017 Posted September 27, 2017 (edited) Hey, So we've been using GCSEPod for a while now with no problems. It's just been noticed that students can no longer play the videos. (No idea since when). It appears to be a permissions problem - because accessing the internet as a student whilst logged onto the computer as an admin means that the videos do work. It's only when logged onto the machine as a student that they don't work. So although we use Smoothwall and have checked everything is going through, I don't think that is the issue. The pages load, the video box is black however with a play button in the centre (which doesn't work). Has anyone else seen this and has any clues? Thanks *Update - just been on the Brightcove website (that is the player used by GCSEPod - and it's the same there - so I guess it needs access to something? Edited September 27, 2017 by Novalee
stanwell Posted September 28, 2017 Posted September 28, 2017 (edited) Hi, We have exactly the same problem as you and we are also using Smoothwall. I've noticed in the real-time web filter report that some of the URL's for Bright Cove are showing multiple 407 responses (see below) so it could be caused by authentication not working for those domains. Creating an authentication exception for brightcove.com may solve the problem. I'm going to do some testing, I'll let you know what I find. 08:22:59 407 https://secure.brightcove.com Audio and Video, Staff allowed content 08:22:59 407 https://f1.media.brightcove.com Audio and Video, Staff allowed content 08:22:59 407 https://secure.brightcove.com Audio and Video, Staff allowed content 08:22:59 407 https://secure.brightcove.com Audio and Video, Staff allowed content 08:22:59 407 https://f1.media.brightcove.com Audio and Video, Staff allowed content 08:22:59 407 https://f1.media.brightcove.com Audio and Video, Staff allowed content EDIT: Shortly after posting this the videos started working again before I could start testing. So maybe Bright Cove have undone what ever changed. Has it started working for you? GCSE Pod also gave me this list of URL's which they recommend whitelisting: *gcsepod.com *.brightcove.com *.sharethis.com *.analytics.edgekey.net *.cloudfront.net *.jquery.com *.newrelic.com *.google-analytics.com *.googleapis.com *.akamaihd.net *.akafms.net *.llnwd.net *.llnw.net *.brightcove.net Edited September 28, 2017 by stanwell
Novalee Posted September 28, 2017 Author Posted September 28, 2017 Hi, We have exactly the same problem as you and we are also using Smoothwall. I've noticed in the real-time web filter report that some of the URL's for Bright Cove are showing multiple 407 responses (see below) so it could be caused by authentication not working for those domains. Creating an authentication exception for brightcove.com may solve the problem. I'm going to do some testing, I'll let you know what I find. 08:22:59 407 https://secure.brightcove.com Audio and Video, Staff allowed content 08:22:59 407 https://f1.media.brightcove.com Audio and Video, Staff allowed content 08:22:59 407 https://secure.brightcove.com Audio and Video, Staff allowed content 08:22:59 407 https://secure.brightcove.com Audio and Video, Staff allowed content 08:22:59 407 https://f1.media.brightcove.com Audio and Video, Staff allowed content 08:22:59 407 https://f1.media.brightcove.com Audio and Video, Staff allowed content EDIT: Shortly after posting this the videos started working again before I could start testing. So maybe Bright Cove have undone what ever changed. Has it started working for you? GCSE Pod also gave me this list of URL's which they recommend whitelisting: *gcsepod.com *.brightcove.com *.sharethis.com *.analytics.edgekey.net *.cloudfront.net *.jquery.com *.newrelic.com *.google-analytics.com *.googleapis.com *.akamaihd.net *.akafms.net *.llnwd.net *.llnw.net *.brightcove.net I was really excited it would work then, but sadly it hasn't started working. It's very strange - we haven't changed anything so it is more than likely at their end, but just need to figure out which - I'll check all the things you've listed above and report back. Thanks.
Novalee Posted September 28, 2017 Author Posted September 28, 2017 Hmm interesting - these exceptions didn't work but thank you - however, I've just tried it in Chrome and it works for students, but doesn't in IE11.
stanwell Posted September 28, 2017 Posted September 28, 2017 I was told it doesn't work in IE but when I tried it myself (logged on with the same privileges as a member of teaching staff) it worked fine :S
Steve21 Posted September 28, 2017 Posted September 28, 2017 I don't know if it's changed, as this was a while ago we had the problem but we found that the videos etc still pull through mp3 audio which was getting blocked and breaking things. Are you blocking filetypes for students on filtering? Might explain why it works for staff and not students var audioFileFormat = '.mp3' Steve
Novalee Posted September 28, 2017 Author Posted September 28, 2017 I don't know if it's changed, as this was a while ago we had the problem but we found that the videos etc still pull through mp3 audio which was getting blocked and breaking things. Are you blocking filetypes for students on filtering? Might explain why it works for staff and not students var audioFileFormat = '.mp3' Steve Is that in Smoothwall settings? I'm not sure, but because it works when accessing the Smoothwall as a student, but the computer as staff, it works - so I think the Smoothwall might be a red herring.
Steve21 Posted September 28, 2017 Posted September 28, 2017 Nope this as preSmoothwall at another school. Can't remember if it was RM side or whether it was local mp3s blocked :s Will have to have a look and see if I can find my notes again. Steve
Novalee Posted September 28, 2017 Author Posted September 28, 2017 A ha - got it. Or in our case at least - On IE settings - "Use TLS 1.2" needs to be enabled - we had it enabled for staff but not students, hence it not working. - - - Updated - - - Nope this as preSmoothwall at another school. Can't remember if it was RM side or whether it was local mp3s blocked :s Will have to have a look and see if I can find my notes again. Steve Thanks for taking the time to look Steve - it really is appreciated. I love how we have this community where people are willing to help each other out - it really makes things much more pleasant.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now