Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey Folks,

 

We recently purchased some Moto G5's for using google expeditions.

I was looking at enabling some MDM on them and figured I'd give the one provided by Google a try.

As far as I am aware, I have set everything up however I am unable to add the serial number of my devices as no user has a business license applied to them.

 

I had a quick webchat with the GAPPS team and they mentioned that the Education License should have all of the features of the business license however I came across a forum post on Google's site that contradicted this.

Does any one have experience with Google's MDM ?

Should I be able to import serial numbers of devices and enroll them as 'Company Owned' or does this feature not work with GAPPS for Education ?

 

Thanks.

Posted

G-Suite for Education is different to G-Suite for Business. I was trying to do the same thing with some android tablets. What we're trying to do is business only.

 

Made me sad. Then I forgot about it. Now I'm sad again.

 

Thanks!

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Haha, you and me both!

Got a response from a google rep last night, i'll just paste it in here incase anyone comes along with a similar query in future.

 

My apologies for this inconvenience, it seems that you were provided with wrong expectations as per Company Owned device licence is not available for Education / Non-Profit accounts, if you would like to confirm this information please go to the following help center support article: https://support.google.com/a/answer/7129612?hl=en .

 

Click on before you deploy company-owned devices and go to step number 4 and review the licences.

 

However the option I would like to offer you it is called Device Manager, you may set policies and rules to your domain through it, I would like to provide you the following help center support article regarding how to do it: https://support.google.com/a/answer/6328699?hl=en .

 

I then also quickly asked about 'Find my phone' feature in the MDM and got this response

 

Unfortunately any Gsuite services allows you to track a missing device, however I've heard some ideas that could fit what you are looking for like the following:

 

I will provide the following help center support article which is a non G suite article itself but applies to any Gmail account regarding find, lock, or erase a lost Android device: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6160491?hl=en .

 

I've also heard 3rd party applications like "Find my device" on Google Play that could help you out with this feature, unfortunately track a mobile is not a feature not even provided on Company owned devices.

 

Is there anything else I may do for you?

 

Ah well, i'll set them up without for the time being. I'll start looking into the issue more come September.

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...