Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
Does anyone know the limit to the number of concurrent connections to a shared area on a Vista PC? I know under XP it is 11, but can't find any numbers for Vista...
Posted

Still 10 I'm afraid. As per the EULA:

c. Device Connections. You may allow up to 10 other devices to access the softwareinstalled on the licensed device to use File Services, Print Services, Internet InformationServices and Internet Connection Sharing and Telephony Services.
  • Thanks 1
Posted
The problem is that we want to share out part of our "NAS" system, and can't - the system is basically an XP computer with a few hulking big disks in it, but since it is XP we can only get 10 connections, which doesn't make it much good for hosting a shared area.
Guest kerrymoralee9280
Posted
I would say FreeNAS is the way to go Nick. I've used to it before and it was a doddle to set up, use and manage.
Posted
The thing is, our NAS also houses and runs our disk-to-disk backup (albeit on a different hard disk), so I can't take the Win OS off it to install FreeNAS.
Posted

The thing is, our NAS also houses and runs our disk-to-disk backup, so I wouldn't be able take the Win OS off it to install FreeNAS, would I?

 

The box at present has 3 HDDs - disk1 has the XP OS on it, disk2 has the .bkf backup files and disk3 contains the area I'm trying to share out.

Posted
The thing is, our NAS also houses and runs our disk-to-disk backup, so I wouldn't be able take the Win OS off it to install FreeNAS, would I?

 

The box at present has 3 HDDs - disk1 has the XP OS on it, disk2 has the .bkf backup files and disk3 contains the area I'm trying to share out.

 

You'd need to move the data off the 2nd and 3rd hard drive while you did the conversion to FreeNAS. Once FreeNAS is on, you should be able to access it over the network like any other machine. Thus it's just a case of setting up the shares and copying the data back.

Posted
The thing is, our NAS also houses and runs our disk-to-disk backup, so I wouldn't be able take the Win OS off it to install FreeNAS, would I?

 

I don't see why not, if the disk to disk is copying to a windows share FreeNAS/Linux can do this, it will just have to be initiated from the windows server unless you use something like rsync to pull the file across. We use a linux box to back up all our windows servers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...