Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all

 

I'm currently in testing for our Windows 10 rollout and I've hit several snags.

 

I'm trying to implement UE-V + Folder Redirection + Local Profiles in order to follow best practise from Microsoft. I haven't managed to get UE-V working properly, but I decided to switch track and focus on local profiles.

 

I run the Invoke-RemoveBuiltinAppsOffline script thats been posted on here, make some additional changes (add Internet Explorer and File Explorer links to the global start menu) and close it back up.

 

After deployment, I can log on with a domain user, and the local profile gets created. Subsequent log ons are nice and fast and everything seems to work as normal.

 

However, as an experiment, I removed the local profile and the appropriate reg entry and then logged back on with the same user. This is when the problem occurs.

 

None of the modern apps work (Calculator, StickyNotes, Edge etc.) When clicked the message "you need new app to open X " appears.

 

Anyone got any insight into this?

 

Thanks!

Posted
However, as an experiment, I removed the local profile and the appropriate reg entry and then logged back on with the same user. This is when the problem occurs.

Have you tried deleting the profile using the normal method (through the Control Panel)? I haven't had any issues with modern apps when I do it that way.

 

%windir%\system32\SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe

 

2QVKal.png

  • Thanks 1
Posted
We use a PowerShell script to delete all local profiles except from the local admin and any of our network admin accounts, we do this every holiday in the IT suites to free up a little more space. No problems with the profiles being recreated afterwards.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...