Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
I have just updated an Admin PC from Win 2K to XP Pro and added it to my network. Not all the Group Policy is getting applied though - it's like as if some of the settings i.e. old printer settings and things like needing to press Ctrl, Alt, Del to activate the log on screen are embedded somewhere. What do I need to tweak to get it to pick up the proper Group Policy settings?
Posted
I have just updated an Admin PC from Win 2K to XP Pro and added it to my network. Not all the Group Policy is getting applied though - it's like as if some of the settings i.e. old printer settings and things like needing to press Ctrl, Alt, Del to activate the log on screen are embedded somewhere. What do I need to tweak to get it to pick up the proper Group Policy settings?

 

Tried a GPupdate ?

[ Its on the Admin Bar below ]

  • Thanks 1
Posted
I'd try using the group policy management console (GPMC) - right at the bottom there is "Group Policy Results" which you can use to find out which policies are winning for the various settings.
  • Thanks 1
Posted
Thanks for the thought, yes I have already run GPupdate to no success.

 

Thanks also for the pointer to the Admin Bar.

 

No problem - is the PC picking up any of the polices you have set ?

Posted

XP utilises a FLO (Fast Logon Optimisation) so not all policies will apply without restarting, then restarting without logging on.

 

I'd check out Event Viewer, see if it's logging any issues there and obviously the previously mentioned, GPMC Results Wizard is very useful, it lists denied GPO's, winning GPO's etc it's the biz when it comes to working certain stuff out (the rest is stabs in the dark :))

 

 

Is your network 2003 servers?

  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...