papeloni Posted March 13, 2017 Posted March 13, 2017 Hey guys, I have been trying to create a silent install of SolidWorks for MDT. However, whenever I go to carry out the silent install, the Solidworks program looks to have been installed, and then all of a sudden the installer starts going backwards and uninstalls the program completely. Within my silent install i was also installing eDrawings which worked perfectly, so I don't really understand why it's not working? I checked the log i also created and it says nothing about why it starts to remove the files, it just starts doing it Do any of you have any ideas about how i could sort this Thanks!! Any guidance would be appreciated
synaesthesia Posted March 13, 2017 Posted March 13, 2017 One thing I noticed with 2016 was that the deployment success criteria didn't match up - I couldn't find the correct MSI installation GUID as it had in previous versions. So rather than SCCM/MDT checking for the GUID for succesful installation criteria, I chose a file version instead - I believe it's the same in MDT under deployment types.
papeloni Posted March 13, 2017 Author Posted March 13, 2017 Thank you for the heads up about this! Right now I'm more concerned with my Batch file (which is what is executing the command-line properties that SolidWorks provides you with in the PDF) and why it just randomly starts uninstalling SolidWorks? Does the serial number need spaces/dashes? and can ADDLOCAL be called 'all'?
synaesthesia Posted March 13, 2017 Posted March 13, 2017 You shouldn't be batching that - just the solidworks admin installer to create the admin image beforehand. Makes life far simpler.
papeloni Posted March 13, 2017 Author Posted March 13, 2017 The admin installer has loads of prompts though? I need to run a batch for the solidworks.msi surely?
synaesthesia Posted March 13, 2017 Posted March 13, 2017 It does have prompts, because it's for you to run, not users. You use it to create an image, and you then push that image through to the clients. My install/deployment type via SCCM is just the executable startswinstall.exe /install /now (and startswinstall.exe /uninstall /now for uninstall). There are zero prompts - the idea of that installer is so you're setting up everything it needs to know beforehand.
papeloni Posted March 13, 2017 Author Posted March 13, 2017 Wow this seems way easier than what I'm trying to do now. Final question: how did you find out the switches for the .exe? i have tried /? and nothing happened, it just prompted me with the option to start the install now or in 5 mins
synaesthesia Posted March 13, 2017 Posted March 13, 2017 I think it was in the documentation;admittedly I've just used the switches I've had in place for the last few versions. 1
papeloni Posted March 13, 2017 Author Posted March 13, 2017 (edited) So you just ran the startwinstall.exe through command prompt with those switches? I've attempted this and ... nothing seems to be happening? There's nothing in my task manager processes that indicates that it's even running Edited March 13, 2017 by papeloni
synaesthesia Posted March 13, 2017 Posted March 13, 2017 (edited) Indeed. There's no prompts or anything and it takes a *long* time. I do believe you should see msiexec running in the background in task manager though. Throw it out to a test station, leave it an hour or so then see if anything's occurred. If I recall correctly these are the steps I used more recently to double check: http://help.solidworks.com/2016/English/Installation/install_guide/t_active_directory_deployment.htm - if it's not that, then it's identical to any version from 2013 onwards I think Edited March 13, 2017 by synaesthesia
papeloni Posted March 13, 2017 Author Posted March 13, 2017 Hey i see the msiexec!! Thank you so much for being so helpful and saving me hours of pointless troubleshooting I'll let you know if anything goes Pete Tong, but hopefully it's smooth sailing from here! Have a nice day!!
synaesthesia Posted March 13, 2017 Posted March 13, 2017 No worries I remember the dread of having the latest copy of Solidworks land on our desk... It's only any easier now as we've done it a fair few times
papeloni Posted March 13, 2017 Author Posted March 13, 2017 Okay I'm back to bother you... I waited on the install and found there was a popup basically saying part of the install failed. I checked the logs and it mentions this: Install FAILED with code 1603 Any ideas?
synaesthesia Posted March 13, 2017 Posted March 13, 2017 1603 is a lovely generic "No idea" MSI installation code. Try running through the installation on a standalone PC and seeing where it fails. 1
papeloni Posted March 13, 2017 Author Posted March 13, 2017 grrr... i thought it might have been lack of solid answers upon troubleshooting hahah Will test it out like you said hopefully it works
Whisky Posted March 13, 2017 Posted March 13, 2017 It's been a while since I've done anything with Solidworks but I had a similar issue with it rolling back. If I remember correctly it was to do with the length of characters was being exceeded whilst it was being installed.
papeloni Posted March 13, 2017 Author Posted March 13, 2017 What do you mean by length of characters being exceeded exactly?
Whisky Posted March 13, 2017 Posted March 13, 2017 If the total installation path exceeds 255 characters when installing, my installation failed and rolled back. Only found it through the SCCM logs.
Whisky Posted March 13, 2017 Posted March 13, 2017 If the total installation path exceeds 255 characters when installing, my installation failed and rolled back. Only found it through the SCCM logs.
papeloni Posted March 13, 2017 Author Posted March 13, 2017 That's very random, but upon checking mine is definitely not exceeding that amount. Also my eDrawings install worked perfectly, and that has a longer path Thanks for that input though
papeloni Posted March 13, 2017 Author Posted March 13, 2017 That's very random, but upon checking mine is definitely not exceeding that amount. Also my eDrawings install worked perfectly, and that has a longer path Thanks for that input though
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now