Garacesh Posted February 3, 2017 Posted February 3, 2017 Every now and again we have some event going on that means I whack up a special desktop background for everybody. Rather than unlink 'old' policies (and re-link them later) I just whack a new GPO on top and flag it as Enforced so it overwrites the current one. Not ideal? Yes. Less effort? Also yes. However, I've just made a bit of a ballsup, it turns out, because the policy I copied used to have Folder Redirection set, specifically, Desktop. Now, that Folder Redirection has long since been nulled, so the Desktop redirection is set to 'Not Configured', but that hasn't removed it from the policy: It's still there, just 'Not Configured'. This is bad, as if , I Enforce the policy, it forces desktops to not be redirected. It may just be a case of recreating the affected policies from scratch, but is there any way of actually striking it off the policy for good?
mowgli82 Posted February 3, 2017 Posted February 3, 2017 I cant help answer your question, but when I need to change the wallpaper I rename the old one to .old and change the name on the new one to match what it states in the GPO.
Garacesh Posted February 3, 2017 Author Posted February 3, 2017 Yeah, but each year have a different wallpaper, plus staff too, and this is getting applied to everybody, so..
ADMaster Posted February 3, 2017 Posted February 3, 2017 I think he is saying don't change the GPO just change the file it is pointing at. \\server\share\image.jpg copy to image.jpg.old and paste in the new image OR if you don't care about keeping the old one just paste in and overwrite. Also just create a new GPO with just the background settings. the other policy will still apply the other settings. If it is just the background image I'd go the route of updating the file it is pointing at vs editing the GPO.
Garacesh Posted February 3, 2017 Author Posted February 3, 2017 Yes but that involves changing six images It's easier to just enforce one image over the entire Users OU
ADMaster Posted February 3, 2017 Posted February 3, 2017 I do not know of any way to strike it from the policy. You could have a look around sysvol, good luck. I would create a fresh GPO and only add the background settings.
LukeC Posted February 3, 2017 Posted February 3, 2017 There is this guide i followed to remove ie maintence from gpos. Does mention folder redirection at the bottom. How to Remove Old Folder Redirection and Internet Explorer Maintenance Policies from GPOs – Bobb IT Co
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now