CyberNerd Posted January 26, 2006 Posted January 26, 2006 Has anyone tried this? There are lots of new features in Metaframe4 and I'd like to upgrade soon. I'd like to know if anyone has experienced any pitfalls doing this. AFIK I need to install a license server and upgrade the datastore/database machine first then transer the licenses. Is there a minimum client requirement for version4? Thanks in advance
Ric_ Posted January 26, 2006 Posted January 26, 2006 If you have subscription advantage on your licenses you can upgrade whenever you want and IIRC you can let the subscription advantage lapse a bit too. I'm sure that you will find lots of details at citrix.com on the knowledge base and the forums are great - response time is nearly as good as EduGeek What size of Citrix implementation do you currently have and how much would you lose if you blitzed the datastore and started from scratch?
CyberNerd Posted January 26, 2006 Author Posted January 26, 2006 We've got the subscription advantage, just preparing myself to take the plunge. Current setup is 6 servers with the datastore running on one. I've also got a new server ready to put in and a development server for testing apps (running in VMware). I'd like to keep the database on the current server as its more robust (DL360) opposed to the new machine which is homebuilt running SATA not SCSI. I could probably re-build the farm if needed, I'd rather not have to Most of the reports I hear is that the upgrade is smooth. thanks for the tip, I'll check out the Citrix forums.
Ric_ Posted January 26, 2006 Posted January 26, 2006 BTW - v4 is ACE! I use Enterprise and the package management is magical!
CyberNerd Posted January 27, 2006 Author Posted January 27, 2006 Yeah, the application isolation environment looks fantastic, and I'm looking forward to a decent package management system. Do you happen to know if its possible to upgrade to enterprise? would we need to upgrade all the client licenses or just the server?
Ric_ Posted January 27, 2006 Posted January 27, 2006 The way that Citrix licensing works is based on the number of concurrent connections. This is great because it means that you could have 300 terminals but only buy 150 licenses if you know that only half are ever going to be used at once. I believe it is possible to upgrade your licenses but I'm not sure how you go about getting the extra components onto your servers - it may just be a case of whacking the CD in telling it to upgrade. Best bet is to speak to a Citrix supplier or ask on the Citrix forums.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now