Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi All,

 

Complete VM noob, so please forgive ignorance - but as usual... Help me EDUGEEK, you're my only hope!

 

Ok, so I got Fusion on the Mac and installed Windows.

 

I need to run SIMS on it, but I am having basic networking issues so I haven't got that far yet.

 

I was advised I need to run the network adapter bridged, well there are 2 options already (Bridged (AutoDetect) and Bridged Wi-Fi) and neither seem to work.

 

The only thing that works is another option NAT and I guess this uses an internal addresses by the looks of the 192. I.P. it has given the VM.

 

But although this gives me internet access, it's giving me other issues, as I can't remote into it or access it by I.P. and I'm concerned it may have other issues down the line.

 

So, question is how do I set it up to connect to my network without going through NAT, access my network and obtain an I.P. address in line with it's VLAN?

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Kol.

Posted

Reading through the VMware troubleshooting shows this might be the problem:

 

6.Change your adapter from NAT to Bridged, or vice versa. If one selection works, and the other does not, then the problem is with your network and not with Fusion or your virtual machine. For example, if NAT works and Bridged does not, it is because the router/network is configured not to assign two IPs for the same machine. For more information

 

Source: https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1016466

 

But it doesn't help me work out what I need to do...

 

Anyone run VMware Fusion on a school network (especially to run SIMS on a Mac)?

Posted
Anyone run VMware Fusion on a school network (especially to run SIMS on a Mac)?

I have had the exact same problem with Fusion and the only way I got it working was to give the Macs Wi-Fi and virtual NIC (in the VM) static IP addresses via DHCP reservations. For some reason this made the bridged networking work.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...