SimpleSi Posted February 13, 2008 Posted February 13, 2008 I've set up an eeePC to print to to a shared printer via a w2k3 server but it keeps asking for username/password when I want to print. Can I store these credentials somewhere on the eeePC so the user doesn't get asked for them? regards Simon
djones Posted February 14, 2008 Posted February 14, 2008 Can you not just set "Everyone" permissions on the printer?
FN-GM Posted February 14, 2008 Posted February 14, 2008 Can you connect to the printer directly and miss out the print server?
SimpleSi Posted February 29, 2008 Author Posted February 29, 2008 @djones - Everyone is set for the printer. @FN - I don't know how to do that from Linux? Is it possible? This is now the last hurdle to be overcome in the quest to make these fully usable in primary schools. The workaround is that I have created a simple login username=p password=p and the little darlings just have to type in this the 1st time the computer goes to print in a session and the ICT Co-ord thinks this is acceptable but I want more! Please help! regards Simon
fooby Posted February 29, 2008 Posted February 29, 2008 instead of using the windows print server, add the printer to the eeepc and point it to the ip address of the jetdirect (or similar internal) ip print server, this doesnt require any authentication and should work ok. this has worked here on other linux pcs
SimpleSi Posted February 29, 2008 Author Posted February 29, 2008 @fooby Point it at the address of the print server My print server (it is an HP JetDirect BTW) has ip of 10.81.63.199. Where/what do I alter to do the pointing regards Simon
SimpleSi Posted February 29, 2008 Author Posted February 29, 2008 Well I've found a solution - I am running the old "Win 98 server" in a VM within the new w2k3 server (Why change what isn't broken ) So by printing from the eeePC via the Win98 VM I don't get any permission issues and it just prints. Obviously this is not a solution that others are going to be able/want to do and I'm lucky that the printer in question is an HP1100 Business Inkjet that has full Win98 connectivity to the JetDirect print server. However, this makes me think would the same trick work if I setup a Xubuntu VM and had it printing to to the printer via the W2k3 server and have the eeePCs printing to the printer via the XUbuntu VM? Thoughts anyone? regards Simon
SimpleSi Posted May 1, 2009 Author Posted May 1, 2009 Eureka moment Geoff's (all hail the great one ) post in this thread http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networks/34385-sharing-printer-twice.html gave me the idea to enable Unix printing on my w2k3 server and then setup an eeepc to print using the server ip and printername. It worked :D:D It didn't ask for any username/password I'll have to roll it out to a classrooms worth and see how it pans out regards Simon PS I was looking into this again as I come in sometimes and find the spoolers crashed on my Win98VM
dhicks Posted May 1, 2009 Posted May 1, 2009 enable Unix printing on my w2k3 server and then setup an eeepc to print using the server ip and printername Hmm, there's an idea - I'm currently (still) setting up a Server 2003 print server that will also run Ghostscript so we can make any printer into a generic Postscript printer, I'll have to look at that other post as well and see if there's a different way I could be doing that. -- David Hicks
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now