Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi All,

 

My images included all updates until today and until today I have been deploying Win 10 build 1607 fine with no problems but just to give a heads up after microsoft released their patch Tuesdays updates including: KB3176495 - I have found that a MDT task will hang at the windows update task sequence - I am not alone - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/35309dd8-f87a-41e1-8a20-33ffbb2648e2/windows-update-step-hanging-windows-10-1607?forum=mdt

 

So there is a bug with either WSUS or MDT so for the time being I am not including the windows update with my MDT tasks - I have found that once the device is built windows update via WSUS / GPO seems to be working and as there are no students in at current I am happy to carry on this way and will keep an eye open for a fix.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Hi mullet_man,

 

Thank you for the reply and link but I already have the update mentioned in the link installed in my custom image and all was working as good as gold until the latest update released today what has caused the problem for me so it seems that with every major update will cause this problem until the bug is fixed but you are right adding any major update as a package will get round the issue and is quicker then recreating the custom image for the time being.

 

Thanks again

Posted

ImageUploadedByEduGeek1470904163.623093.jpg

 

Just imaging a laptop and my WU task is running fine.

 

Double check you have that first cumulative update installed as without that every time the WU would fail for me.

Posted (edited)

I will double check when on site tomorrow.

 

I should of said that the task is a deploy of a custom image and not a capture of a image but that shouldn't make a difference

Edited by abaxter2
Posted
I'm not using MDT however I am noticing that since the 1607 update whenever windows update gets to the download stage about half the services on the machine crash/stop. This can be seen in event viewer->system. I have tried blank installs etc. the problems seem to start when joining a domain. I have a batch of laptops that aren't domain joined but have the same wsus settings via gpedit and they work fine.
Posted
Will try adding the latest update as a package and see what happens - I do think there is a bug

 

You need to add KB3176495 as a package and it fixes the issue apparently.

 

Lets hope they iron out what the issue is as we can't do this every time there is a cumulative update released.

Posted
You need to add KB3176495 as a package and it fixes the issue apparently.

 

Lets hope they iron out what the issue is as we can't do this every time there is a cumulative update released.

 

Yeah I hope the fix the issue soon as I know from my insider build that yet another cumulative update is about to be released! that would be the third one since they released build 1607! anyway at least it is not to hard to add the cumulative updates as packages - I am just adding them the same was as I add the .Net Framework 3.5 - OS|DC: MDT 2013 U1: How to Install .Net Framework 3.5 on Windows 10

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...