Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I think I have done it correct but just wanted to check.

 

I went into systems manager > create backup > gave it a Description and got a .bak file saved ( 1Gb we are a primary school with not much stuff on there)

 

So what is this .bak file ?

Is it just a backup of the MsSQL database?

So all the data is there?

 

Cheers

Matt

Posted

Whenever Capita want a backup from me to upload and trouble shoot a tech case this is the method they use.

 

It's not a pure SQL backup, but I've never deconstructed one to see what the differences are.

  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

OK,

so what do you backup in Sims?

Our LA back ours up but I just want to also make sure that we have a copy ( we are looking at going to hosted Sims)

Edited by MattDLEA
Posted

Our Network Manager runs proper SQL backups.

 

The system manager route is only used when Capita want a backup they can use.

 

I presume the major difference is the security on the file, the SQL backup still has the SQL user permissions attached, whereas the .bak from system manager doesn't?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...