Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
Installed and running HAP 10 but for the life of me can't find out how to map a users my documents or shared drives. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good walkthrough? I'm using a vanilla network by the way.
Posted (edited)

I'll do my best to help, let me know if any of it is confusing :);

 

I'll cover the active directory tab but if you got this done and cover go to the next step. (if there is other things you got figured out then skim though but step 2 is important! :) )

 

Step 1:

In the hap set-up/config, select the 'Active Directory' tab;

Enter in your Domain UPN, Admin username (for us it's just Administrator), the password for the admin account.

For 'Student Group': I've just selected 'All Students' from the active directory's security group (this maybe label different on your active directory).

I have 'Nested Lookups' turned on (I think this was already on)

Max Recursions: 10 and Max Logon Attemps: 4 (I believe these were default too)

For the 'Active Directory User List OUs' I just selected the Staff Folder from the active directory's Folder Tree (hierarchy).

*These seemed to work for me through out hap (especially seeing staff on the booking system.

 

When done hit save

(Example image 'Img01')

 

Step 2:

While HAP+ saves and remembers the admin password you entered in the active directory it doesn't show it and it doesn't give you a 'live' connection when selecting groups etc. when your mapping drives (or any other settings where you wish to specific set user groups etc.).

 

Because of this go to the 'Active Directory' and enter in your admin password again but do not select save, instead select somewhere else (I tend to click another text box) and wait for a green tick to appear by 'Base Settings:' ('Img02').

 

If you select save by accident, you'll have to go back and reenter the password and wait for that green tick.

 

Step 3:

Select the 'My Files' Tab ('Img03') (Just a note I've managed to change ours to say 'Drive Mapping/My Files', you can ignore this as it isn't important).

 

Select 'Add' button next the 'Mappings' to open the 'Mapping Editor' ('Img04')

 

Step 4:

Complete the text boxes;

'Drive:' What Letter you want for your drive (We've kept it simple and kept the same drive letters as our system, this is most likely the common situation to avoid confusion).

'Name:' Name of the drive, again we kept this consistent (So our Staff Share drive is also called Staff share on HAP+)

'UNC:' Enter the Network address that the mapped drive uses (E.g. '\\staff\staffshare$' is the address for our staff shared drive)

*For home drives it's little different, we use ' %homedir% ' this looks up the attribute on the active director for the user and maps the local drive just as the computers would do, Nickbro (creator) has also noted this on HAP+ with '%homedir% = User's Home Directory, %username% = username' but for a novice like myself it took little while to figure it out).

 

'Enable Read To:' and 'Enable Write To:' are the 'Read and Write' permissions, you want to select which user groups you want to have read and/or write access to the drive(s) you create, both are set up the same. Remembering 'Step 2' this process is allot easier as you will have a live connection to your active directory.

 

Select either the 'Enable Read To:' and 'Enable Write To:' text box and it will open the Group Builder window ('Img05'), you can have either 'All' for all users to access or Custom to specifically set which User Groups will see the drive ('Img05' will show custom option). To add user groups select the magnifying glass and this will bring up your active directory, under the security group for your users select the first (or the) group you want to have access to the drive. What ever you select will now appear in the text box, to actually Add them you have to now select the 'Add' button.

 

And more if you like (or remove down the line), sadly I have not been able to add individual users only groups, when done select ok.

 

After you have finished selecting which usergroup(s) for both 'Enable Read To:' and 'Enable Write To:' ('Img06' as an example) select save. Then the big 'Save' button at the bottom of the main page. ('Img07 to avoid confusion lol).

 

At this point (or after you set up your first drive) test it out to make sure you have got it figured out, then add more :).

 

Hope this helps, if the explanation/images are confusing or you have an question let me know and I can see what I can do to improve it or help (or someone else can help :)).

Img01.png

Img02.png

Img03.png

Img04.png

Img05.png

Img06.png

Img07.png

Edited by DPenfold
Posted

When I want to add extra drives, I must admit I go straight into the app_data\hapconfig.xml file

 

For our user documents path, I have the value just as %homedrive%

ie

 %homedir%

Posted

Not quite sure what you mean by 'standard vanilla network' (Network is my weakest area as a techy).

 

Having quick chat to the rest of the team they are bit unsure as well, I was told for us "our network was designed by 'EE' but we manage everything"

 

But my understanding (and what I've seen) would be that HAP is only accessing the Active directory (like a book/database) for information/settings etc. but I could be wrong on that.

 

If you could elaborate further on what your 'standard vanilla network' (dummy level maybe lol) then I can see what I can do help further :).

Posted

Sorry for double post but didn't see this reply;

 

When I want to add extra drives, I must admit I go straight into the app_data\hapconfig.xml file

 

For our user documents path, I have the value just as %homedrive%

ie

 %homedir%

 

 

This works too if HAP throws a hissy fit when trying to save etc. however I have situations where it breaks messes up HAP; resolution and some buttons etc. don't work which forces me to use a back I created moments before making the changes. I tend to zip the entire HAP+ before making big changes but minor stuff I just make a copy of the hapconfig.xml before making changes, speaking of which not done that for while been working on something else so thank you Boredguy for the reminder! :D

Posted
Sorry for double post but didn't see this reply;

This works too if HAP throws a hissy fit when trying to save etc. however I have situations where it breaks messes up HAP; resolution and some buttons etc. don't work which forces me to use a back I created moments before making the changes. I tend to zip the entire HAP+ before making big changes but minor stuff I just make a copy of the hapconfig.xml before making changes, speaking of which not done that for while been working on something else so thank you Boredguy for the reminder! :D

 

I've mainly edited the XML file since Nick released his earlier versions where the GUI wasn't as slick as the newer versions so it's just habit.

Posted
I've mainly edited the XML file since Nick released his earlier versions where the GUI wasn't as slick as the newer versions so it's just habit.

 

Many thanks again to you both. I'll have a play (and take regular backups)

  • 4 months later...
Posted

Sorry to hijack an old thread but I am having a similar issue. We've been using HAP+ for a few months now with staff having access to their home drive, however they now want access to the shared drives. I've added this access and the drives show up fine, but they can't upload / edit documents on the shared drive (they can do this fine on their home drives).

 

I've tried setting the permissions to all but this does not seem to make any difference. Below is what I have set at present, the N Drive works fine, both the shared drives are visible and documents can be downloaded, but no edits / uploads can be made at present which is what I would like to achieve.

 

%homedir%

\\server\Media

\\server\Shared Resources

Posted

You have a type in your W drive enabledreadto and enablewrite to

 

It should be

enablereadto="Teaching Staff, Non-Teaching Staff"

not

enablereadto=", Teaching Staff, Non-Teaching Staff"

Posted
Thanks for the quick response, this seems to be how it gets set when I used the Web Interface, I have tried removing the , manually but this make no difference, the Y drive is set to "All" but doesn't work for uploads / edits either. I can however upload/edit fine on the shared droves if I login with a Domain Admin Account

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...