theo_logical Posted February 21, 2016 Posted February 21, 2016 I'm getting the following email alert from one of my Dell R620 Poweredge servers. Message from server: Storage Controller Battery Warning I gather it's not terribly urgent, but best not to leave it too long. Does anyone know what kind of battery it is? Can I pop dont to the newsagents and buy one? Thanks
mrtechsystems Posted February 21, 2016 Posted February 21, 2016 https://bestbattery.biz/DELL-PowerEdge-R620-RAID-CMOS-RTC-PLC-Batteries.html I am assumuning it's for the raid card have you run Dell Open Manage on Server
twin--turbo Posted February 22, 2016 Posted February 22, 2016 the battery is for the write cache, if the battery fails then the write cache is disabled. It will impact performance but probably not noticeably. TT
pete Posted February 22, 2016 Posted February 22, 2016 ^ You've gone into OpenManage to check it's not the "hey I've decided to do a battery test / charge the battery" warning? Which is benign (provided it passes the test).
PotNoodleTech Posted February 22, 2016 Posted February 22, 2016 the battery is for the write cache, if the battery fails then the write cache is disabled. It will impact performance but probably not noticeably. TT Unless the array was set up to always use write cache even with no battery - in which case the failed battery will be putting you're array and data at risk if you have a power cut. It depends how the array was configured originally! Personally I would get it sorted ASAP just incase.
Geoff Posted February 22, 2016 Posted February 22, 2016 Battery backup on the raid card write cache isn't a big deal if you have the server on a UPS. You can run without it. The server obviously doesn't know it's attached to a UPS so will complain ofc. Obviously for the paranoid have both your battery backed write cache and a UPS. It depends on the value of the data on the server I suppose.
theo_logical Posted February 24, 2016 Author Posted February 24, 2016 Thanks for the replies. Dell sent an engineer out next day to replace the entire controller. Brilliant service from Dell. Odd thing was that there was no indication of a problem within iDrac or Openmanage.
PotNoodleTech Posted February 24, 2016 Posted February 24, 2016 I've found dell to be good too they even send an engineer out to replace just a laptop hard drive.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now