caffrey Posted February 13, 2016 Posted February 13, 2016 Anyone had any weird GPO issues with using SSDs on PCs ? I have a room full of HP Compaq 8000s and a HP Z210 as a teacher machine all with SSDs. They are all in the same OU and all have the same GPOs applied. Deploying a msi via gpo works fine on the 8000s but not on the Z210 (I get the usual %%1274 errors) I've still not solved it, even after applying the startup policy processing wait time / Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon in GPO. I'm wondering if this is down to speed issues (I may even try changing the NIC next) The MSIs install fine if I browse to the location and manually install too.
_techie_ Posted February 13, 2016 Posted February 13, 2016 Sounds like it could be NIC drivers, or something else, as its a different model PC. Maybe the network connection is duff as well (try a different cable etc etc). 1
caffrey Posted February 13, 2016 Author Posted February 13, 2016 Used the same port and cable for pushing out the image to the PCs, I also integrated the Z210 drivers (Intel 82579LM) from HP's site into the boot wim - it's really weird, other GPOs are applying fine just not the MSI ones, might just try a different nic
caffrey Posted February 16, 2016 Author Posted February 16, 2016 Tried different NIC, no luck - But tried a traditional spinner and the GPOs worked fine - so it is SSD related, anyone know of a fix ? I may increase the startup policy processing wait time but that negates the point of the ssd surely...
disk Posted February 18, 2016 Posted February 18, 2016 Try checking for a firmware update from the SSD manufacturer's support site. 1
caffrey Posted February 18, 2016 Author Posted February 18, 2016 Fixed it in the end, had to do the GPO settings :- Startup policy processing wait time, set to 20 - enabled Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon - enabled Worth considering if you have fast machines and SSDs - didn't seem to make a difference on the core2duos
datar_ Posted February 18, 2016 Posted February 18, 2016 Is that setting to 20 from the default of 60? (iirc)
caffrey Posted February 18, 2016 Author Posted February 18, 2016 Default of 30, I read somewhere that 20 works better
datar_ Posted February 18, 2016 Posted February 18, 2016 Ah I toying between 30/60 in my head, I might have to give this a try on a couple of problem desktops, except I went longer wait time instead of shorter. They're fine once booted, it's before login is the problem :-/
caffrey Posted February 18, 2016 Author Posted February 18, 2016 (edited) I found that 2 logins were needed before it kicked in too. I'm guessing once to apply the wait policies, then on the next reboot the msi's start working Edited February 18, 2016 by caffrey
datar_ Posted February 19, 2016 Posted February 19, 2016 Yeah, that's always been an issue with Windows 7, it always seemed to take one login for it to do something; I have it set in WDS to logon once and reboot.
JasonNVSD Posted March 1, 2016 Posted March 1, 2016 (edited) Deleted Edited March 1, 2016 by JasonNVSD
jonspurs Posted March 9, 2016 Posted March 9, 2016 Fixed it in the end, had to do the GPO settings :- Startup policy processing wait time, set to 20 - enabled Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon - enabled Worth considering if you have fast machines and SSDs - didn't seem to make a difference on the core2duos Regarding the setting 'Always wait for the network...', what happens if the ethernet patch is disconnected, will it never get to the logon screen? Did you have to do both settings or would the first one be enough? Thanks, Jon
caffrey Posted March 9, 2016 Author Posted March 9, 2016 Yeah it should do, both are needed to make it work, maybe worth experimenting with the wait time too
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now