Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I need to setup DNS in a way so that I can give different results to different networks.

My 6th form need to be able to resolve a different address than the rest of the school.

 

I don't want to go about building another DNS server, we have two replicating using windows 2008R2 and it works without any problem, so ideally I need to do it on these machines. I can see how to do it in BIND using views, but not in windows.

 

Does anyone know of a solution/hack to do this ?

Posted

If it's just certain computers and not too many things could you copy a hosts file into those pcs with the alternate dns entries?

This isnt somethign I've ever thought of doing - what is it you are trying to do just in case I can think of a better way? (I might not)

Posted (edited)
If it's just certain computers and not too many things could you copy a hosts file into those pcs with the alternate dns entries?

This isnt somethign I've ever thought of doing - what is it you are trying to do just in case I can think of a better way? (I might not)

 

I'm afraid that isn't possible because 6th form students are BYOD.

I'm trying to get students in yr 12/13 to NOT use the restrict.youtube.com - we changed the whole school to point there, but I need to override this for the 6th form.

 

I'm now thinking of using a Smoothwall or other linux server on that network

Edited by CyberNerd

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...