Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi,

 

Ok , so here is my issue - bear with long back story:

I had someone come in and set up an X server and bind it to my windows server...

 

My windows server host name is (made up here:) bp-sr-01

All my printers and shares are mapped with that hostname.

 

Came in today not able to remote on the server using bp-sr-01 but it would connect with the IP address.

 

On investigation found that my server was now only connecting to printers ,remote desktop if I put in the whole of the FQDN ( I think its the right terminology! - very new to this)

ie bp-sr-01.schoolname.internal

 

I need it to go back to bp-sr-01 for the host name . Any help would be appreciated.

 

Thank you !

Posted
Hi,

 

Ok , so here is my issue - bear with long back story:

I had someone come in and set up an X server and bind it to my windows server...

 

My windows server host name is (made up here:) bp-sr-01

All my printers and shares are mapped with that hostname.

 

Came in today not able to remote on the server using bp-sr-01 but it would connect with the IP address.

 

On investigation found that my server was now only connecting to printers ,remote desktop if I put in the whole of the FQDN ( I think its the right terminology! - very new to this)

ie bp-sr-01.schoolname.internal

 

I need it to go back to bp-sr-01 for the host name . Any help would be appreciated.

 

Thank you !

 

Firstly, you are correct with your use FQDN terminology.

It sounds to me that the dns suffix (i.e. schoolname.internal) is not being applied to the server/machine you are connecting from, therefore requiring the FQDN to connect. Has anything changed with DNS settings recently, or Network card settings? Worst case I guess you could bodge it by putting the Windows Server name in the host file.

Posted

Hi DJ

When the X server was set up - guy noticed that the X server kept trying to go to 127.0.0.1 .. So he took that off .

Also, the Mac server wouldn't join to bps-sr-01 without adding the .schoolname.internal

I'm not sure if this had something to do with it? ( have left 2 messages for him to call me back!)

Also, when I did ipconfig the dns server was down as 127.0.0.1 so I ( hopefully not messing anything up) went to the nic and changed the preferred dns to my server ip.. And then to gateway IP - and now I'm not sure which it should be :-/...

Posted
Hi DJ

When the X server was set up - guy noticed that the X server kept trying to go to 127.0.0.1 .. So he took that off .

Also, the Mac server wouldn't join to bps-sr-01 without adding the .schoolname.internal

I'm not sure if this had something to do with it? ( have left 2 messages for him to call me back!)

Also, when I did ipconfig the dns server was down as 127.0.0.1 so I ( hopefully not messing anything up) went to the nic and changed the preferred dns to my server ip.. And then to gateway IP - and now I'm not sure which it should be :-/...

 

Well unless he did something interesting, I would have thought they would be getting DNS from the same place, if you do an ipconfig /all on a Windows PC, it should confirm the DNS IP address they use.

 

As for hoping you didn't mess anything up, worse case you just switch it back to how it was :). Besides, can't mess it up if it's already messed up before hand, anything you are doing is debugging and fixing :).

Posted
Hi all, just a bump up for this ... How would the host name have got changed and how would I be able to change it back. The only other thing I've done before it changed was install deploy studio to the X server on my Mac mini that is bound to my Windows server

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...