edsa131 Posted October 20, 2015 Posted October 20, 2015 Hi, I am running a Citix Xen server 6.0.2 pool, which incorporates 2 physical servers running the citrix hypervisor and these are connected to a SAN via channel fibre connections. I have all of the latest updates and patches installed, but I am having issues with one of the VMs. The problem is linking to a virtualised fileserver which still has the Server 2003 OS installed. At least once daily, the network runs like a dog and the phones start to ring with cries of "I cannot save, I cannot log on!". Going by the logs on Xen Server for that virtual machine, at the time of the poor network performance, there are big spikes on the system graphs, this is mainly on disk activity and the activity maxes out. The CPU, memory and network also max out at certain times in the day, but it does not affect the network in anyway. The most activity can be seen on the DC VMs when students and staff login in the morning and after lunch, but this can be expected. I have 4 virtual CPUs assigned to the Fileserver VM and 8GB of RAM. I have always managed to sort out Xen Server issues, but need some urgent advice on this one. I am hoping that it is the 2003 OS that is causing the issues. I also noticed from another post that someone had issues because they were using universal print drivers on the network. Anyone have any suspicions on this one? Regards Eddie
dhicks Posted October 20, 2015 Posted October 20, 2015 Going by the logs on Xen Server for that virtual machine, at the time of the poor network performance, there are big spikes on the system graphs, this is mainly on disk activity and the activity maxes out. If the activity is by that particular VM then I imagine it's probably more likly to be something to do with the OS on that VM rather than XenServer. What is the Windows VM doing at the time those activity spikes happen? Can you upgrade the VM to Server 2012 R2? Or install a fresh file server? 1
edsa131 Posted October 22, 2015 Author Posted October 22, 2015 Cheers for the reply, I am going to give this a try next week when teachers and students are out.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now