torledo Posted January 8, 2008 Posted January 8, 2008 Hi folks This is an unsual one.... Was asked by a colleague to delete a sub-folder on a win2k3 share that she was unable to delete due to permissions issue - unfortunately i was unable to delete even with domain admin rights. So I try and take ownership of the folder in order to delete it which normally works...but lo and behold there's no security tab!!!! whether i access the folder from the server or from a winxp client i can't see a security tab. The parent folders all have the security tab, the folders on the same level also have the tab....it's just this pesky folder. Folder has no files in it and so is 0kb is size... Any ideas ?
torledo Posted January 8, 2008 Author Posted January 8, 2008 Can you take ownership of the parent directory? Yes, I have full permissions for the parent folder. I have tried resetting permissions on all child folders (so that would include the trouble folder) from the parent folder.... but i can the error 'access denied' when it gets to the trouble folder.... - not that i expected that to work, becuase the trouble folder has no security tab at all.
markcuk Posted January 8, 2008 Posted January 8, 2008 i have had this problem.i have used the software mentioned above also deleting using linux comes in handy for some of these files mark
torledo Posted January 8, 2008 Author Posted January 8, 2008 In that case, this might be helpful. didn't work. Came back with 'Delete folder failed'..... I tried deleting another folder using the utlity and it worked but not for the trouble folder...
markcuk Posted January 8, 2008 Posted January 8, 2008 try linux it will work!! i have a linux box just for this. I use it when i delete year groups microsoft always throws up some rubbish it cant delete while linux just does it:) mark
Minkus Posted January 8, 2008 Posted January 8, 2008 Yes, I have full permissions for the parent folder. I have tried resetting permissions on all child folders (so that would include the trouble folder) from the parent folder.... but i can the error 'access denied' when it gets to the trouble folder.... - not that i expected that to work, becuase the trouble folder has no security tab at all. On the parent folder, under Security / Advanced, try going to the 'Owner' tab, picking 'Administrators' and using the 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' option. This will reset the ownership on all files and folders regardless of permissions. Once you've done this, resetting permissions should work as well.
SYNACK Posted January 8, 2008 Posted January 8, 2008 Have you tried running chkdsk on the effected drive as it may find and repair the security descriptors.
alonebfg Posted January 8, 2008 Posted January 8, 2008 try some of these http://winhlp.com/node/39 and here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081 is the windows version. I have used the I have found most of the time a combination of both this and the above software works.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now